Valve lifter cable for 350 cc Lightweight

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Roderick

Valve lifter cable for 350 cc Lightweight

Post by Roderick »

I need a valve lifter cable (Part Nos. 026254 for the cable plus 011373 for the Nut/lock/adjuster) for the G5 I've nearly finished. The bike never had even an old one with it so I have nothing to measure.

JAMPOT Spares don't seem to carry a valve lifter cable for this model nor anyone else either.

I wonder if LWT 350 cable is sufficiently similar to the valve lifter cable also fitted on the rocker cover on the Heavyweight singles that I could adapt the latter to use on the G5?

Rod
Janet

Re: Valve lifter cable for 350 cc Lightweight

Post by Janet »

Can't you just bung up the cable hole and then get some kickstart training from the Panther Owners' Club? ;)
Roderick

Post by Roderick »

It's a thought! The Panther Club do meet nearby in the Commercial PH on Sunday mornings. Maybe they run kickstarting courses. The little 1/2 compression lever on their timing cases is their salvation, however.

Rod
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Rod the cables for the HW & LW are the same its just the year that makes the differance which is the style of end fitting into the lever. My 61 G3 & 59 G5 are identical.

If you get the wrong one i am sure Gary in the stores will swap it for you.

T755 CABLE VALVE LIFTER; USE FOR-

Cable Valve Lifter; Use For- 026244

Price : £7.12 each Other currencies

Price incl. tax : £8.54 Other currencies

Stock : Available
Roderick

Post by Roderick »

Thanks, Rangy 65.

I saw Johnson Cables at the Stafford Show ion April & got a cable from them after they consulted their book. It seems to fit. One thing, though, the recess on the lever at the cylinder head for holding the cable outer is a conical recess. The cable outer end on Johnson's cable is stepped. It doesn't seem quite right. I wonder if originally there was a special nipple fitted on the end of the cable to accommodate the conical recess. The Spares List doesn't mention anything specifically.

I just need to get the exhaust sorted out now & it almost ready to go. The Armour's exhaust doesn't fit by a country mile. There used to be somebody in Leeds who could make them. I have a 250 original. The bend is the same. The 350 one just drops an inch or so at the bottom.

Rod
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Feked ones fit, I have one on my 350 lightweight, bear in mind though that it will be an open pipe and not the baffled type as they were originally. I like the loud, real motorbike, sound!
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, I put a valve lifter cable on, but don't use it. starts without easy enough.
Rob.