Flip front crash helmets

Put your recommendations for services in this area. No negative or defammatory comments allowed. Only club members can make recommendations
JimFitz

Re: Flip front crash helmets

Post by JimFitz »

Found this Nolan in the UK Bruce for £270 https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/257779. Polycarbonate shell so should be fairly light. I believe the Shoei is fibreglass hence the weight.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Well I went for the Gloss White Shoei Neotec in the end. I looked at many reviews and there was a comment that it can cause a headache if worn for more that about 4 hours at a time and Sprid commented on this as well.
I think it may be due to the weight of the helmet but there were many other positive comments which I hope will outweigh this issue (if it is an issue for me).
I bought it here https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... prod/85061 after much searching on the net and calls to local bike shops. All the GB sites seem to be £499 give or take a pound
I do not feel it is appropriate to say how much I paid for it on an open forum but all I will say is that it is worth calling them to see if they can offer a better price than is shown on the net. I found them very helpful and they offer free delivery and returns in the UK.

Jim

thornebt

Post by thornebt »

JimFitz wrote:Found this Nolan in the UK Bruce for £270 https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/257779. Polycarbonate shell so should be fairly light. I believe the Shoei is fibreglass hence the weight.

Jim
Hi Jim. Thanks for that. The few reviews all give it five stars. I just need to try a High St bike dealer to find which size I need and to see if they can match the online price (which I may get slightly cheaper if I phone them).

Cheers. Bruce.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

JimFitz wrote:Well I went for the Gloss White Shoei Neotec in the end. I looked at many reviews and there was a comment that it can cause a headache if worn for more that about 4 hours at a time and Sprid commented on this as well.
I think it may be due to the weight of the helmet but there were many other positive comments which I hope will outweigh this issue (if it is an issue for me).
I bought it here https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... prod/85061 after much searching on the net and calls to local bike shops. All the GB sites seem to be £499 give or take a pound
I do not feel it is appropriate to say how much I paid for it on an open forum but all I will say is that it is worth calling them to see if they can offer a better price than is shown on the net. I found them very helpful and they offer free delivery and returns in the UK.

Jim
Hi Jim. This helmet also has extremely good reviews but it just seems a bit pricey for me personally. I know you can't put a price on your personal safety but I guess they will all perform to high safety standards, although hopefully will never be tested by us as users!

Cheers. Bruce.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Hi Bruce

The Nolan looks to be very good value and the reviews look good. If you cannot find a local dealer then a lot of the internet shops offer free delivery and returns. It may be that you can get a better price at a high st shop - at least a deduction for postage and packing.

Jim

kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi, Im a bit late to this, but I have to say Ive got a Shark Evoline and its very very good for me. Fits very well, easy to accommodate glasses and has a built in tinted sun visor. Has all the options of allowing just visor up, just chin piece up or both up to give open face feel. I tried the Shoei but preferred the fit of the Evoline. Only thing with it is that where the visor seals against the helmet along its top edge, needs a clean and a little silicon lube to keep it smooth and sealing every few months. Apart from that I love it.
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

kernow kid wrote:Hi, Im a bit late to this, but I have to say Ive got a Shark Evoline and its very very good for me. Fits very well, easy to accommodate glasses and has a built in tinted sun visor. Has all the options of allowing just visor up, just chin piece up or both up to give open face feel. I tried the Shoei but preferred the fit of the Evoline. Only thing with it is that where the visor seals against the helmet along its top edge, needs a clean and a little silicon lube to keep it smooth and sealing every few months. Apart from that I love it.
Regards kk
I second that. I have two evolines and use them on alternate days. Best helmet I've ever had
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Richard Mills

Post by Richard Mills »

I also like the Evoline, but I do find it a bit draughty with air blowing up from the chin area to the forehead (and I mean with it in full face mode); rather uncomfortable in cold weather. At least it doesn't mist up easily!
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Richard Mills wrote:I also like the Evoline, but I do find it a bit draughty with air blowing up from the chin area to the forehead (and I mean with it in full face mode); rather uncomfortable in cold weather. At least it doesn't mist up easily!
I've not had that problem but with a full beard and a 20 inch neck there aint much space left
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

I've not had that problem either, and I've only got a 19 inch neck and beard! Mind you I'm in sub tropical Cornwall so it's always a warm draught...
:)
kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...