kick start lever

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
neil cairns

kick start lever

Post by neil cairns »

This is rather minor, but very annoying. I've had my '53 18S since 2004, its kick start lever has never been a problem (its actually a motorcycle combination, a lot of 'Mass' to absorb vibration). But my '52 18S solo kick start lever slowley works its way along the splines to come off if I did not see it eventually. Its done this since I purchased it about 6 years ago. I have 'locktited' it on to no avail. (Burman B52 'boxes on both.) Both bikes levers seem identical so WHY does the solo suffer this annoyance. Both bikes are regularly used, the solo is my main form of transport. :oops:
Mick D

Re: kick start lever

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Shouldn't the pinch bolt fit into the groove on the kickstart shaft and prevent it sliding along it?

Has the bolt become worn? Do you have a smaller bolt installed by mistake?

Regards Mick
REW

Post by REW »

I had a similarly annoying kickstart lever on my AJS model 20 with B52. Despite serious spanner leverage the lever worked along the splined shaft. On removal of the lock bolt it looked bent and it seems it could not pull the ends of the lever boss together. I turned it over (180 degrees) and now it tightens. A new bolt would I assume achieve the same result.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I have had a similar problem with Burman boxes, I eventually ran a slim cutting disc between the open ends and a small cut into the meat of the boss this allowed the clamp to close a tad more which solved the problem, I also think the retaining bolt should act like a cotter in the groove but this seldom seems to be the case, kind regards
oh the k/start fell off the W/ng in France last month fortunately picked up by a following rider, so this has also come in for the treatment!
neil cairns

Post by neil cairns »

The bolt is in good fettle, there is no 'groove' for it to act like a cotter; the gap does not close up when the bolt is tight (I have already put a double hacksaw blade through it years ago). It moves along the splines over quite a long period, like 2 months (bike is in regular use). I might drill out the lever to take a bigger bolt and grind a small groove in the splined bit so it acts like a cotter, but why does the other B52 on my '53 bike behave and this '52 B52 not? Odd.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

neil cairns wrote:.... but why does the other B52 on my '53 bike behave and this '52 B52 not? Odd.
For the past 15 years the k/s on my '54 G3LS has gradually crept off the shaft exactly as your '52. The splines are good and the pinch gap doesn't close up. I fitted a high tensile bolt so that I could really give it some wellie until the k/s was secured solidly on the shaft. I can only guess that there must be some high frequency (ultra-sonic?) harmonic vibration which shifts it. Either that or there's a fine wear-taper towards the outer end of the shaft. Dunno :?
Mick D wrote:Shouldn't the pinch bolt fit into the groove on the kickstart shaft and prevent it sliding along it?
There isn't a 'cotter pin' groove in the shaft of the 'B52 box.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I am glad I am not alone I just keep an eye on mine and get the spanner out when required.
Chemists do it with test tubes
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

SPRIDDLER wrote:There isn't a 'cotter pin' groove in the shaft of the 'B52 box.
Teach me to believe the parts lists :roll:
Bman Kstart.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hmm, well I never! Maybe there are some with grooved shafts, although I've only been familiar with maybe half a dozen B52's.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Mick D wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote:There isn't a 'cotter pin' groove in the shaft of the 'B52 box.
Teach me to believe the parts lists :roll:
Bman Kstart.png
The grove is far to small for the bolt to have any affect on its clamping as viewed in the photo.
Roy