This Week's Useful Gadget

Put your recommendations for services in this area. No negative or defammatory comments allowed. Only club members can make recommendations
thornebt

This Week's Useful Gadget

Post by thornebt »

I thought it was time to resurrect my 'This Week's Useful Gadget' recommendation.

This week it is the Dremel multi function tool. I'm sure a lot of you will be familiar with this and might own one already but this post is for everyone else.

I've seen these advertised before and have always lumped it in with the 'toy' tools. The sort of thing that gets advertised on TV just before Christmas. Probably manufactured by Ronco or sold by that chap who was so impressed that he bought the company. In the same bracket as the handheld sewing machine or the gadget that removes fluff from your woolly tights.

I was wrong! I read some reviews on the Dremel and took delivery of my Dremel 3000 today from Screwfix. It has a 40" flexible drive extension and a box of tools for polishing, sanding, grinding, cutting discs. I'm just using the pointed grindstone on my cyclemotor barrel and it is perfect for the job. It's only a small stone but it's not showing signs of wear yet.

The tool has a good feel to it quality-wise. Variable speed from quite slow to very whizzy. Supplied in a durable plastic case. I wish I had bought one some time ago. Naturally there are a huge number of fake Dremels on Ebay so please be careful about buying.

Although the Dremel cost me £70 I will save that very quickly on unnecessary visits to the dentist and hygienist as I can now carry out that work myself.

Cheers. Bruce.
Groily

Re: This Week's Useful Gadget

Post by Groily »

Don't know where I'd be without one sometimes Bruce.
Really useful and not a toy-town tool at all. I use mine every day.
Only thing, for me, was that my 3000 died young. RIP. Couldn't fix it - but screwed up the warranty trying, as one does, 'cos I needed it. Unwise . . .
And then I bought a tougher model (4200 I think) which is doing really well but cost a fair bit more. (It's lasted longer than the warranty anyway!)
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Dremels and their clones are fine and handy but for serious garage work I'd recommend an air powered one if you have a compressor

http://www.ctctools.biz/micro-air-grind ... -head-g69/

Or maybe the cheaper version at the bottom of the page for the occasional user

Regards Mick
choosey2

Post by choosey2 »

Hi,
Where do you guys buy replacement accessories ie cutters/bits, when new mine came with an assortment, however over time these have worn, damaged or lost !
Regards
Clive
bob

Post by bob »

If cutting

The thin cutting disc's break very easily .

put 2 on together , they still cut the same but don't break as easily .
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

choosey2 wrote:Hi,
Where do you guys buy replacement accessories ie cutters/bits, when new mine came with an assortment, however over time these have worn, damaged or lost !
Regards
Clive
Homebase (probably B & Q as well) for good quality attachments.

You can get bits from eBay but beware the cheap Chinese items as they don't last very long...!

As always you get what you pay for
Corners like a Lego man
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

choosey2 wrote:Hi,
Regards
Clive
Check out the Lidl non-food offers. You can subscribe on their website and regular emails are sent to you showing the currnet and upcoming offers. Loads of good stuff comes up for the workshop including Dremel compatible accessories at bargain prices.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I bought the Lidl "Dremel" clone and it's had a lot of hard use and still works fine. Came with a set of accessories including the flexible cable thingy.

Just wish I had power at the lock up but too tight to buy a generator.

I've rarely been failed by the Lidl tools.

Johnny B