Clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
shifter

Clutch

Post by shifter »

After fitting a new clutch cable to my Model 8 (old one snapped) no matter what I did adjustment wise I couldn't set the clutch up so it wouldn't drag so to bits it comes, the clutch pressure plate springs were wound quite tight but after dismantling inspection/cleaning all the old shitty oil/de burring the plate tangs and basket slides all looked good. So put it back together setting the springs level and even with the end of the studs the clutch is working perfect now also so used A.T.F. in the primary case this may keep it a bit cleaner. As I thought I was looking at spending a few quid to rectify it I'm well chuffed not often things work out so easy :D :beer:
?
Ozmadman

Re: Clutch

Post by Ozmadman »

Sounds good!! well done
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Having set the springs all level with the cups, and the clutch worked OK, was a bit fortunate. One, as it was at that position they were not too tight or loose. Two, all springs were of equal strength. Usually you have to adjust each spring individually, so that plates open evenly all round, to prevent drag.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

It's amazing what difference a quick strip & clean makes to these clutches.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

It is indeed. It is all I have been doing to my as found 1936 AJS for the last 30 years. It even has a mixture of cork and fibre plates. Probably in the bike years before I found its remains in a field near the barn.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Rob
That's the way I have always set my B.S.A bike clutches up so gave it a go with the Model 8 and its worked fine mind you I have done clutches that need more or less tension on each spring to make it operate even without slipping or dragging, luck must have been on my side as the pressure and plates are separating even and the clutch is working perfect with 1/2 a turn back on pushrod then locked no slip or drag.
?
shifter

Post by shifter »

Well the clutch is working champion as does the rest of the bike at the mo I have done a bit more tinkering and made some more cosmetic changes but by hec its cutting in nippy up this end of the U.K.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shifter on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I spy more changes to my old bike!!! No fully enclosed chainguard and the rear brake arm changed. :o :)
shifter

Post by shifter »

The enclosed chain guard is hanging up in the workshop as I am not keen on them, I fabricated the one that's on as I like it better along with the brake arm I hope you can agree with the changes Rob. We are going over the boarder and up in the hills of bonny Scotland at the weekend need to get a few riding miles in as we haven't done many lately with other commitment's having to be dealt with
Last edited by shifter on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
?
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Wish I had a fully enclosed chainguard on the G80S. My 1966 14CSR didn't have one though. Wish I still had it, I thought it was a lovely thing.

I bet fully enclosed saves a lot on chains if you do higher mileages even if not stylish.

Although my mileage hasn't been as much as I'd hoped this year.

Will be in Scotland a week on Friday for half term over at Newton Stewart; wrong side of the country for you!

Johnny B