Making a better felt filter for the oil tank

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
REW

Making a better felt filter for the oil tank

Post by REW »

I have written before about trials and tribulations of repro felt filters in oil tanks before 1956 - my single and twin have suffered, probably as a result of a too short filter falling against the oil outlet and felt bunging things up. I have used felt from a club filter re-sown into an original mesh in my single but can't find the post and pics at the mo. I now want to repeat the job for my '53 twin using better felt - thicker stuff like this:
Filter felt.JPG
You can see where it came from and the cost, also the thickness at 2mm is twice that of a club filter and it feels thick and even. It is 100% wool.

Next job is to either solder some extra mesh on a repro mesh to make it longer (to about 170mm) or get hold of an old, used filter to re-cycle that mesh. To be continued...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
G15 Roy

Re: Making a better felt filter for the oil tank

Post by G15 Roy »

One on its way but i had the squash it a bit to save on the postage :o
Roy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Have you tried a drapery, carpet or craft shop?
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Rob Harknett wrote:Have you tried a drapery, carpet or craft shop?
I am not Ron visits drapery shops that often as He hasn't even got any net curtains.
Roy
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

I would be very interested to see how this pans out.

The replacement filter I bought is too short for my tank and would have disappeared inside if I'd extracted my finger. In all honesty it looks extremely wimpy (both the mesh framework and the felt) compared with the original it was going to replace so currently the bike is running with the original filter having soaked it and reverse-flushed it through numerous times with a solvent. It would be nice to have a decent spare or replacement though.

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Cartridge oil filters are available 'off the shelf' in a wide range of sizes and filtration standards - can anyone advise of the dimensions of the original filters?

Regards Mick
Janet

Post by Janet »

G15 Roy wrote:One on its way but i had the squash it a bit to save on the postage :o
:rofl: And they say Yorkshire folk are mean. :rofl:
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

Considering how long this problem has been going on for and the extreme simplicity of the component causing all the troubles, I should have thought that it would be a fairly simple matter to sort out once and for all. Get the filters made up to the correct length and destroy all the old faulty stock! If we can get twin crankshafts made, I'm sure we can get filters of the correct sizes made too.
After all, it just as easy to make them the correct length as the wrong length.
Cheers, Bob.
REW

Post by REW »

Hear, hear. I'm giving it a go.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Just to rejuvenate an old but very interesting thread ...

How did it go Ron?

I'm just in the process of another oil change (why not, oil is cheap and the consequences of extracting every last drop of life out of it not necessarily so!) and hence I've just rinsed the original(?) filter through onece again. It would be really nice to replace it with a real manly job not one of the wimpy modern replacements assembled from paper thin felt and in my, admittedly very limited experience, poorly made and too small to boot!

Here is my original:
Filter (1).JPG
Filter (2).JPG
Surely there must (or at least should) be a source of equivelent quality replacements rather than the wimpy jobs that seem to be omnipresent and as illustrated here courtesy of Ebay (although the ones I've actually bought came via recognised sources)?
Sub-Optimal Oil Filter.jpg
It would be great to find a suitable source or, if not, even a source of second-hand proper jobs so I could at least try a "REW" version.

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol: