Ajs starting problem

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
peterd54

Ajs starting problem

Post by peterd54 »

Hi we have got ready for starting new petrol oil plug battery charged. It starts but won't run dies when we open the throttle won't even tick over bike is a ajs model 8 1961
clanger9

Re: Ajs starting problem

Post by clanger9 »

Check the float level: remove the idle jet cover, connect a clear tube and check the petrol level against the dimple on the float chamber.
An Amal won't work at all if this is wrong and it's easy to disturb the level if the fuel inlet union is fitted with too few/too many washers.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I would have thought it's more likely to be a blocked pilot jet. Have you cleaned the carb out?
Dave
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It sounds like the jets are partially blocked - strip the carb and ensure all the jets and filter are clear, also confirm the float is not punctured, (no sound of liquid inside when it is shaken), and the float valve is free to function - re-assemble as it was and try again.

Have you had a look at the fuel tap filter gauzes? if not I'd do that too.

Regards Mick
peterd54

Post by peterd54 »

Ok thanks for replying we have got it the spark was tracking back to the coil because the plug was not firing properly once again thanks
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Thanks for the update! Didn't sound like an ignition problem, so glad you got it sorted...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
peterd54

Post by peterd54 »

Hi thanks for the reply running now but leaking oil out of the chain case starts fine and pulling ok but we can hear bearings rumbling I would like to keep the bike but would have to rebuild the engine so looking for a good video thanks
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Peter. It would help if you can locate the precise origin of the rumbling with some accuracy.
Excuse me if you know/have done this but if you use a listening stick (piece of wood/dowel/broomstick/screwdriver and place it against various parts of the engine with t'other end against you ear) there's a faint hope that you may find it's not coming from deep in the inaccessible bottom end bits but maybe the top or the timing chest or the clutch................worth a try.
I don't know about Lightweights (look in Christians Archive. I think you've already been given the link) but I believe that the L /W engine is very similar to the H/weight for which many excellent guides are available.
No doubt a L/weight officianado will reply shortly.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'