Timing cams and parts

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
cfaber

Timing cams and parts

Post by cfaber »

Hi Folks,

Can anyone advise on the parts around the timing cam for a '54 with automatic advance.

I have two cams, timing gear, timing gear nut, the cam side magneto sprocket, cam side magneto sprocket nut, chains, covers for the magneto including the cover for the automatic advance, and screws. I see there is reference to a few washers for spacing on the cams, is this the case? Can anyone advise about these possible washers? Is there anything else that I'm missing?

The parts seem to be 016847 and 016848 (exhaust side shim washers)
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
clive

Re: Timing cams and parts

Post by clive »

The shims you are talking about take up play between the cams and case. I have never bothered with them but I am prepared to put up with the odd rattle.
Of course you will need an endless mag chain.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Yeah, I'm putting together the motor now (parts at least) the thing cam as a basket case and I have what I believe to me most of it. I have the chain for both dynamo and magneto, still looking to source dynamo sprocket, nut, etc. and whatever else is missing in the realm of bolts and screws. I'll make sure to order the shims as they belong in there and I'm going for "factory complete, non-restored" type bike.

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Make a list of what you want into one order, if there are a number of small inexpensive parts. You will benefit by keeping postage cost down. Club should have most of what you need. They may even have a S/H sprocket.
Expat

Post by Expat »

cfaber wrote: I'll make sure to order the shims as they belong in there and I'm going for "factory complete, non-restored" type bike.
Have to admit to ordering a set of said shims for the G3. The intermittent loud 'clacking' sound at idle just gives me the willies despite assurances that it does no harm. :)

Not sure about your model but mine has an oil seal on the inlet cam too.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

An oil seal where? On mine as far as I can tell it doesn't have a seal on the inlet cam, nor does the documents indicate the shims (other than the parts list).

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Expat's G3 is a 1960 model which has coil ignition and the CB points cam is on the inlet cam. Therefore there is the need for an oilseal on the shaft to prevent the CB housing being flooded with oil.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Ah okay,

I was wondering, as the general lack of oil seals around these engines, as far as I can tell, if it's a static part, it's maybe got a gasket / seal, if it's moving, then well, it leaks =) (How else would you know it's got oil in it? :rofl:)

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Does anyone happen to know the part number for the 5 fixing bolts holding the mag chain cover on the crank case? Also, the part number for the 6 fixing bolts holding the mag chain face cover on the mag chain cover?

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
clive

Post by clive »

Cfaber assuming it's for your 54 model 18 try looking here. http://www.archives.jampot.dk/book/Spar ... s_List.pdf
You won't get far without a parts list.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix