AJS Cadwell Clubman.

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
skydiver

AJS Cadwell Clubman.

Post by skydiver »

Any thoughts about this bike? And would YOU buy one? KC.
MalcW

Re: AJS Cadwell Clubman.

Post by MalcW »

I have no experience of one, other than looking at one that was parked up. I thought it looked pretty decent, and would make a nice runabout. But didn't you have a thread about this back in August, or is there a newer version out now?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Not the Cadwell but just my experience of modern a 125 and a Chinese bike.

I considered two aspects when considering buying the 125 Ajay (and then didn't for practical reasons and bought a new Honda CBF125 instead at £1300 more than the Ajay).

1. Reliability. The early Chinese bikes had a poor reputation, mainly electrics, chains, sprockets, rock hard tyres, quickly rusting fixings and obtaining spares. Most of the traditional motorbike dealers wouldn't touch them so they tended to be sold by 'box shifters' either online or from 'Pop up' rented High Street ex sweet shops with very little or no mechanical experience. They have come a very long way in the past 5 years or so although in my experience only the scarce and far flung Chinese bike dealers will service Chinese bikes. Some insurance companies won't even quote. However, no doubt many of us remember the scoffing at 'Jap crap' in the late 60's, (although not for long).

2. Riding experience. At risk of stating the obvious the ride is absolutely nothing as pleasurable or satisfying as riding our old nails. 125's need their 5 or 6 gears to transmit the high buzzy revs and frequent and tedious gear changing is essential to maintain even 55 - 60mph (circa 6,500rpm) on any sort of incline or into a wind, especially with camping gear. The disc brakes are a treat though.
For local jaunts and club runs 125's are o.k., but not IMHO for touring. The Cadwell is accepted for the Alternative rally though.

I bought my (assembled in India) Honda CBF125 (the 'Grudge Special') purely for a 1,200 mile experimental ride across France and over the Pyrenees to Spain in summer 2015 as a try-out during my recuperation from multiple serious biking injuries that prevent me from riding my G3LS. I needed a bike that was reliable, light weight, leccy start, good brakes, indicators (I only have use of my left arm) and with dealerships and spares en route in case of problems. It was biking, but not as we know it, Malc, and I was bored stiff, not with the speed as I used to cruise my Matchless at only 55 to 60 over more that 25,000 miles in 5 years, but with the revving and incessant gear changing. Besides, on the reliable 125 I didn't feel like I was having an adventure.

Needing a bit more power I bought a new Chinese Herald Classic 250 (the 'Mutchless') from my nearest proper bike dealer 110 miles away for £2600. (It's also sold as the Sinnis Retrostar 250 but not in black which I wanted) and I have covered 2,800 miles on trips at home and abroad. The engine is a copy of the Suzuki GN 250. It's more relaxing than riding a 125 and has so far been reliable and pleasant to ride. It's not Alternative Rally compliant though.
2016-05-21 Mutchless(480x360).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

Roger "Crashby" and "Wot's On" Gary Jones, did a review for the Jampot just after they came out (both rode it and were favourably impressed)
skydiver

Post by skydiver »

....But would any of you buy one?....I did....KC.
Janet

Post by Janet »

If I were looking for a small modern bike, yes I would. At the moment, I'm not, so today's answer must be "no".
Boozer1964

Post by Boozer1964 »

I have a Cadwell I bought brand new in July this Year, in fact its me and my bike on the cover of this months (Dec '17 Jampot). I have covered over 3000 glorious, trouble free miles and love the bike, I can't fault the build quality, reliability, or performance. Mine is the euro 3 carb version, I've had a top speed of 70mph (GPS recorded), she'll sit happily at 60mph, the Cadwell is a very light bike so handles and corners really well. I've been riding on and off for over 30yrs and have owned 6 bikes over that time, I have to say my AJS Cadwell is the most fun I've had on two wheels, and I love talking about AJS heritage to the Cadwells many admirers. I wouldn't hesitant in recommending this bike. AJS who are based in Hampshire and owned by Nick Brown (son of AJS competition manager and racer the late Fluff Brown) offer amazing quality control and customer service and my local AJS servicing dealer Sturdeys of Tonbridge I would highly recommend also. I am always welcomed by AJS and Matchless Club and was even asked to display my bike on their club stand at the Ardingly Classic show this year. I also ride regularly with the Vintage Motorcycle Club East Sussex. I believe the Cadwell and heritage models from AJS are a wonderful way to keep the marque alive.
clive

Post by clive »

Hi Tracie and welcome to the club.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
KeithMeadmore

Post by KeithMeadmore »

Hi Tracie,
And for this reason you are very welcome to come on our Ardingly stand again in March and October and especially the Brighton Burn-up in September and any of our other fixtures and events as well. Would you like a copy of the Sussex section 2018 Events Calendar?
Boozer1964

Post by Boozer1964 »

Yes please Keith. That would be lovely 😊