Kill switch?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
cfaber

Kill switch?

Post by cfaber »

For my '54, it doesn't seem to have one on the electrical diagram and there isn't anything other than a mechanical connection from the mag, and the high tension wire to the plug.

Ideas? What have you all done? Pictures?

Thanks.
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Mick D

Re: Kill switch?

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I don't have a mag bike but I believe some magnetos have a push button on the cover - if you type 'kill switch' into the search box it brings up 108 hits - worth a look.

Regards Mick
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

Hi, my 38 Triumph doesn't have a kill switch shown on the wiring diagram but there is one connected to the mag and to a button the the bars. I dont know what mag you have but I would imagine that there is a kill facility on the mag. However I am just surmising here and I am sure that someone with a 54 AMC machine will be along soon to provide the definitive answer.

John
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Singles don't have a kill facility on the magneto, standard procedure is to use the valve lifter to kill the engine.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Stopping th'engine (640x79).jpg
From '54 Owners Manual. Page 10.

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... ingles.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

It depends on which magneto you have. The N-1 has no facility for a cut out but the SR-1 has one fitted to the l.t. terminal, on the side of the body. If preferred, this can be replaced with a lead from the l.t. terminal up to an earthing button cut out on the handlebars.

Post by 196016 »

If it's an N1 magneto , look for themagnetoguys.co.uk , they do a points cap cut out that you can earth to a button on the handlebars.
Regards

David Cook
Groily

Post by Groily »

As zwarts says, there's no facility on the standard N1.
It would be very awkward to set up a kill facility on any of the 'face-cam' magnetos (N1 standard version, MO1 magdynamo and some other old instruments) as there isn't easy access to the low tension live screw, (which is what all the buttons and brushes wipe against to kill the sparks on mags with camrings) nor is there an easy alternative route to earth, as on SRs etc.
On the face-cam designs the live screw is under the opening point's blade and is therefore inaccessible from the outside. So really it's 'use the decompressor or stall the engine' I guess.
On the comp and R versions with a camring, it's another, simple, story.

Happy Crimble to one and all . . .
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

Groily wrote:It would be very awkward to set up a kill facility on any of the 'face-cam' magnetos (N1 standard version, MO1 magdynamo and some other old instruments)
My Lucas MO1 MagDyno has a kill button facility and I am pretty sure it is a standard Lucas item rather than a modified item.

John
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

There was no kill button fitted on my 55/G3LS with SR1 mag when it was new. Not needed. Use valve lifter.