Retro- fitting lycette style seat and pillion sprung pad.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
StephenG80

Retro- fitting lycette style seat and pillion sprung pad.

Post by StephenG80 »

Hi - just doing this because I like the look and I find a saddle more comfortable ( :twisted: - but I know this will upset purists). Looking to retro bit a lycette style saddle and sprung pillion pad to my '54 G80s. Not going to permanently fix anything to the frame so totally reversible but just wondering if anyone else has done this and has any photos/patterns of tube frame clamp brackets they made up (one for the top main tube which the petrol tank covers and a couple for both of the top rails tubes) - presuming no such brackets are on the market?- if they are please point me in the correct directing! 8-)
Rob Harknett

Re: Retro- fitting lycette style seat and pillion sprung pad

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ridged rear end 54 bikes had a saddle fitted. I would have thought parts lists would show front fittings, so just the saddle spring fitting may need a modification for a swinging arm model,
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

thanks Rob - I'll go and check out the parts list.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.13_18h02m21s_001_.png
Do not think a post war parts list shows a saddle picture. See WD parts list pic above. A front bracket could easily be bent up to pick up on the stud, that joins the front and rear sections. The springs have bottom fixing vertical, for a bolt to go through horizontal into a fitting. Springs are also available with the bottom fitting the same as the top, horizontal. So you have two spring options to use, depending which may prove to be, most simple to fit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

did a bit of measuring - should be simple job to make up a bracket that doubles up on the fuel tank bracket. The rear is less straightforward as the top rails are horizontal on the SA frame as opposed to sloping down. So will need to pick up some 3" springs (plenty to be had in chopper custom catalogues) and then fashion some clamps for brackets at a higher level.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Up until 1952 AJS bikes has a sprung saddle, some sub-frames has mounting pints fixed in place and I believe a clamp could be fixed to a sub-frame to enable a sprung saddle to be fitted. Several years ago the clamp was one of the quiz questions.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

Duncan wrote:Up until 1952 AJS bikes has a sprung saddle, some sub-frames has mounting pints fixed in place and I believe a clamp could be fixed to a sub-frame to enable a sprung saddle to be fitted. Several years ago the clamp was one of the quiz questions.
I saw the mounts on the frames but have not seen any pictures/reference to clamps - have you any pictures of them Duncan?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Spring mounts are solid parts of the frame. I do not think clamps on the frame will secure the saddle springs. They would have to handle weight and perhaps violent movement. The front bracket should also be a solid U shape with two bolt top fixing. If it is possible for a part to twist turn or loosen, it probably will. If saddle fittings do come loose, it gets a bit scary. You lay the bike one way, you and the saddle goes another way. Long weak springs will also give the same effect of the saddle swinging. I do not know how some tall riders cope with a saddle and standard fittings. The rider is seated much lower with a saddle compared to the dual seat " sit up and beg " position. You may want to try sitting on a bike with a saddle, if you are tall, it will feel like you have your knees under your chin. I am used to riding a 55 G3LS the saddle height on that compares to my lightweights. Pre war bike saddles seem too low, my 63 CSR too high. On that bike I cannot sit on it with the bike upright, with one foot flat on the road.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I do not think clamps on the frame will secure the saddle springs.
Rob, I am only quoting what I remember and referencing the source of my recollection, from your research can you confirm that definitely was not the case?
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Rob, Velocette LE saddle springs are held in the equivalent of large valve spring cups which are clamped to the body with a small nut and bolt. The cups have a slight angle on the lips and the springs screw into the cups about 1/4 turn to stop them bouncing out.
Likewise the ends of the saddle springs on my 1930 BSA are riveted to a flat strip which is clamped round the saddle post
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise