Help sourcing dynamo sprocket, nut, and clip?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
cfaber

Help sourcing dynamo sprocket, nut, and clip?

Post by cfaber »

I've tried a few places, club spares lists them, but doesn't have them in stock, the other outfits I've tried haven't even bothered to get back to me. So I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where I can source the dynamo gear, nut, and retaining clip?
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
SPRIDDLER

Re: Help sourcing dynamo sprocket, nut, and clip?

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If Russells, AMC Classic, Andrew Eng and the Club spares don't have them (they aren't shown as out of stock on the website) then eBay may be fruitful.
A quick search has found the nut:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DYNAMO-SPROC ... SwImRYMQib

I did have a box of NOS nuts, 'eared' lock washers and circlips for the dynamo (have given several sets away) so if you are completely stuck I'll go mining in the shed to see if any are left.
You could always revert to a Nyloc nut suitably re-tapped if necessary or a standard Imperial thread nut with Threadlock..............but you'll need the thin spanner to stop the armature from turning.
Later.
Just had a thought that maybe non-AMC bikes also have those parts; after all it's a standard Lucas dynamo.......... :?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Just had a thought that maybe non-AMC bikes also have those parts; after all it's a standard Lucas dynamo.......... :?
The BSA A10 version of the dynamo has a cross hole drilled in the armature shaft. It uses a castellated nut and a split pin.

You could try Paul Dunn at 01782 856839. He's very knowledgeable on dynamos and sells spare parts as well as offering a reconditioning service. He may not have exactly the correct nut, washer and clip for the AMC machines but it's a good bet that he will have a nut that fits the shaft.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
raffles

Post by raffles »

I have a sproket Ithink the club has nuts and circlips even maybe a washer
Tony
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

raffles wrote:I have a sproket Ithink the club has nuts and circlips even maybe a washerTony
cfaber wrote:I've tried a few places, club spares lists them, but doesn't have them in stock,

:?
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

raffles wrote:I have a sproket Ithink the club has nuts and circlips even maybe a washer
Tony
Interested in parting ways with it? Or maybe just measuring it so I can have one made?

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

After extensive digging in my shed I find I have just these NOS bits left.
If you are in a hurry and really can't find a supplier you're welcome to a nut, washer and circlip just for the postage cost (which should avoid attracting the wrath of the club Adverts Police). (Correct as you are giving it away -edit by the Advert Police ;) )
Note that the circlip is wire, not stamped out as you see in the club spares picture, but all parts are AMC originals.
You shouldn't have any trouble getting a sprocket but be aware that if buying from a pic on an auction site the mag drive sprocket is very similar but doesn't have the keyway and the boss is longer (or shorter, I can't remember which it is :oops: )
2018-01-24 Dynamo nut, washer, circlip 001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am sure easiest way to spot the difference between dynamo and mag sprocket from a picture, would be, no cut out for the tab washer on a mag sprocket. This can be seen in parts lists. But not seen, perhaps, woodruff key slot. There is also quite a thick strong washer under the dynamo. nut.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Here's the dynamo from my bike. It appears to be drilled for a pin

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

SPRIDDLER wrote:After extensive digging in my shed I find I have just these NOS bits left.
If you are in a hurry and really can't find a supplier you're welcome to a nut, washer and circlip just for the postage cost (which should avoid attracting the wrath of the club Adverts Police). (Correct as you are giving it away -edit by the Advert Police ;) )
Note that the circlip is wire, not stamped out as you see in the club spares picture, but all parts are AMC originals.
You shouldn't have any trouble getting a sprocket but be aware that if buying from a pic on an auction site the mag drive sprocket is very similar but doesn't have the keyway and the boss is longer (or shorter, I can't remember which it is :oops: )
2018-01-24 Dynamo nut, washer, circlip 001.JPG
Thanks. Steven at amcparts has a used sprocket and the nut / circlip / washer. If I fail to connect with him I'll let you know if you don't mind.

Otherwise how will
anything get done?