G5 Handle Bar Switch Assy - electrical

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Trebor160

G5 Handle Bar Switch Assy - electrical

Post by Trebor160 »

Hi All - now onto the electrics on the rebuild and about to assemble the handle bar. Trying to figure out what the red push button does on the switch assemble. I know the rocker switch does the head light, the black push button is for the horn, but cant seem to see from the wiring diagram what the third red button does?
Cheers, Rob
Trebor160

Re: G5 Handle Bar Switch Assy - electrical

Post by Trebor160 »

Just done some internet research and it looks like the switch is a Wipac Tricon type and the third red button should be the kill switch. Cant see any wiring in the loom or on the diagram going to this. Is it correct for the G5 or have I got the wrong switch assy fitted, should it be the Duco, i.e just the headlight dip and horn?
Thanks, Rob
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You don't need internet research. No kill switch according to the Owners Manual (which also has wiring diagram).

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf

Or Parts List page 31. Switch - Horn and dipping.

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Trebor160

Post by Trebor160 »

Thanks Spriddler, but did they fit the assembly and just not use the kill switch or is it a different unit with just horn and dip on? If anyone got a G5 may be they could just have a quick look at their bike to see whats fitted?
Janet

Post by Janet »

I don't have a G5 but many parts are used on the G2, which I do have. There was no kill button on the switch that was fitted when I got the bike and I turn the ignition switch on the headlamp to the middle, ie 'off' position, to stop the engine. Of course, a previous owner could have changed it.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ditto what Janet says. No good looking at another bike which could be wrong. I could show you my 3 bikes. One has horn / dip combined clamped on with clip fitting. Another has separate horn & dip clip type clamped on. The third, an un molested bike with under 10,000 miles on the clock is like the Wipac switch below. I never got a good picture mine. This is the round type that slips on the bars, followed by the twist grip.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.27_18h15m00s_002_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.27_18h08m26s_001_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

trebor161 wrote:Just done some internet research and it looks like the switch is a Wipac Tricon type and the third red button should be the kill switch. Cant see any wiring in the loom or on the diagram going to this. Is it correct for the G5 or have I got the wrong switch assy fitted, should it be the Duco, i.e just the headlight dip and horn?
Thanks, Rob
Only a Ducon fitted to the lightweights they never fitted a Tricon switch.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote:
trebor161 wrote:Just done some internet research and it looks like the switch is a Wipac Tricon type and the third red button should be the kill switch. Cant see any wiring in the loom or on the diagram going to this. Is it correct for the G5 or have I got the wrong switch assy fitted, should it be the Duco, i.e just the headlight dip and horn?
Thanks, Rob
I believe that is a Ducon shown, from one on my bikes Rob. Its on my 66 G2CSR. A bike that the person owned, but did not ride after passing a car test. Stood in the garage over 50 years doing nothing. Only wear seemed to be tank paint. The thin coat of red polished away showing silver underneath. Nor easy to duplicate that metallic red colour. Modern red metallic not looking so translucent.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:
Thanks, Rob
I believe that is a Ducon shown, from one on my bikes Rob. Its on my 66 G2CSR. A bike that the person owned, but did not ride after passing a car test. Stood in the garage over 50 years doing nothing. Only wear seemed to be tank paint. The thin coat of red polished away showing silver underneath. Nor easy to duplicate that metallic red colour. Modern red metallic not looking so translucent.

Certainly is Rob .
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Difficult to see from the blurred pic , not looked today in day light. It does seem to have the same type of flick switch rib / shape / pattern, as seen on the Wipac sales cat. I picked up a new one cheap of this type years ago, make unknown. But found it was for 1" bars. Triumph ???