Conversion - 6v to 12v

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
dave16mct

Re: Conversion - 6v to 12v

Post by dave16mct »

As far as I know the E3L dynamo didn't change at all except the end cover. In my opinion with the new LED bulbs and the DVR2 solid state regulators there's no point in converting to 12 volts with a dynamo model. I would always convert an alternator system because its much simpler.
Dave.
sunnybob

Post by sunnybob »

dave16mct wrote:As far as I know the E3L dynamo didn't change at all except the end cover. In my opinion with the new LED bulbs and the DVR2 solid state regulators there's no point in converting to 12 volts with a dynamo model. I would always convert an alternator system because its much simpler.
Dave.
The DVR2 regulator is not a good option for city/traffic driving because the dynamo needs higher RPM to charge. 6v led bulbs are a nightmare and expensive, that's why I would prefer a conversion. What about the alternator? Is it possible to fit it in a 1958 500 twin?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

sunnybob wrote: The DVR2 regulator is not a good option for city/traffic driving because the dynamo needs higher RPM to charge. 6v led bulbs are a nightmare and expensive, that's why I would prefer a conversion.
I don't agree with you there, Bob; it's a much debated subject and I don't want to go down that road (with or without an LED headlight ;) )
What about the alternator? Is it possible to fit it in a 1958 500 twin?
Probably best to ask the supplier if no-one here has personal experience of fitting one to your model............?
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

"6v led bulbs are a nightmare" Why? Sure you must have your reasons.

Still using the same LED stop/tail that's been in for many, many thousands of miles. This means I can run halogen in headlight and balance charge at 30 mph as the LED headlight spread poor on unlit country roads. but that doesn't appeaar to a problem for you.

Johnny B
sunnybob

Post by sunnybob »

56G80S wrote:"6v led bulbs are a nightmare" Why? Sure you must have your reasons.

Still using the same LED stop/tail that's been in for many, many thousands of miles. This means I can run halogen in headlight and balance charge at 30 mph as the LED headlight spread poor on unlit country roads. but that doesn't appeaar to a problem for you.

Johnny B
I have a P45t headlight bulb in my model 20 (export model) there is only one supplier for 6v led bulbs and he is in Poland. 12v are easier to find and cheaper. I drive mostly in town but not only.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

sunnybob wrote: I have a P45t headlight bulb in my model 20 (export model) there is only one supplier for 6v led bulbs and he is in Poland.
A couple of pals buy their LED lamps direct from China. :?

TBH I've never had a bike with a dynamo and coil ign (as opposed to a self energising mag) but I guess if mostly town riding the lights could drain the battery, leaving you stranded.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Expat

Post by Expat »

sunnybob wrote:
56G80S wrote:"6v led bulbs are a nightmare" Why? Sure you must have your reasons.

Johnny B
I have a P45t headlight bulb in my model 20 (export model) there is only one supplier for 6v led bulbs and he is in Poland. 12v are easier to find and cheaper. I drive mostly in town but not only.
Got a full set of 6v led's in England from dynamoregulatorconversions I think, prices not too extortionate if I remember.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
sunnybob

Post by sunnybob »

Just checked there. They sale 12v h4 led for £30, 6v for £45 (plus £8 for the p45t adaptor). There are £15 difference. Polish/chinese 6v led p45t died after 1 year :-( Maybe these are better and stay more but 12v led are very easy to find also in Italy.

I'm waiting to know if my dynamo armature is good or not (it is at repair shop now). If not a 12v conversion could be a good idea as the price is not much more. My main doubt is about the year.. The seller wrote twins till 57, I have a 58. What changed in dynamo between 1957 and 1958? I asked him but had no response yet.

Alton (or german new generator) are sure better but are also very expensive.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Mine was 6v double dipper so was only 28 squids, works fine for me. 8-)
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
sunnybob

Post by sunnybob »

My armature dynamo is gone :cry: . The shop could convert the generator to 12v with no extra cost but they do not have a 12v regulator. Which is the best solution? DVR2 would fit a 12volt converted lucas E3L? What else with negative earth?
Thank you.