Where are they now - with a difference.

Where is that old bike?
Group Leader

Where are they now - with a difference.

Post by Group Leader »

I know where the bike is - it's in my garage but it set me wondering on where it had been and with whom. Time to turn into Inspector Morse :D

I was fortunate in receiving the original buff log book when I acquired the bike and this lists the first seven owners albeit the two latest entries just record names not addresses.

Of course in this day and age Mr Google is the first port of call for most things and I was able to visit (virtually) its original stomping grounds which were interesting but, as would be expected, pretty much entirely "average" as befits a modestly priced, work-a-day motorcycle. Most of the owner's names drew a blank except for the fourth owner who acquired the bike in 1966. He had a somewhat unusual name and he lived in a small village/town with a distinctive name. Mr Google came up with a reasonably recent match (2012) for this chap's name and low and behold it included a reference to the same location. It had to be the same chap didn't it?

Anyway, the link took you to a "local" cycling club's website and was actually an obituary written by the chap relating to the recent passing of another member of said cycling club. So, I sent a brief Email to the club scretary via the website explaining that I now owned a motorcycle that had, a long time ago, belonged to this chap and asked if he would kindly pass on a message including my contact details. The intention being that, if the chap was interested in the news that his machine was still alive and well, I would send him a couple of photographs of it.

A few days later I received a very brief indication from the secretary that indicated he had indeed passed the information on as requested. Nothing happened for a couple of weeks and I therefore assumed that the chap wasn't that fussed about it which, of course, is perfectly fine - some people are interested and curious about such things whilst others are not.

But then an Email turned up, the chap was very sorry about the delay (no big deal!) and how excited he was to learn that the bike was still going and eager to see some photographs. These were duly sent along with a bit of the back story about how I'd come to own it to which I got a very nice reply with some background about his ownership of it. Apparently this "bolt from the blue" reminder of his past had evoked many happy memories for both he and his wife. Needless to say, he now has an open invitation to come and see it if he should ever be "down my way".

What a marvellous thing the internet is (most of the time)! :D

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Rob Harknett

Re: Where are they now - with a difference.

Post by Rob Harknett »

Its good when you get a result like that. I once got the opposite reaction when I brought a bike with many parts missing. The PO had sold the large lump. But kept many other parts. This included old log book , wheels, carb and many other small parts. He wanted HIS bike back. The fact he sold it, did not matter. He claimed he still had the document and it was in his name. I was bombarded with letters phone calls etc. for over a year. When I had got he bike complete and running again. New documents and the original number back. I still got phone calls and letters for some time after that. To the effect one way or another he would get HIS bike back. Years later when I thought all was over, I got a letter saying I saw MY bike at the Enfield show. With words to the effect he could have easily taken it.
poplargreg

Re: Where are they now - with a difference.

Post by poplargreg »

Seem to have heard that one a couple of times already! :D