model 22 just pre war,- shock absorber primary sprocket

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Mikedearing

Re: model 22 just pre war,- shock absorber primary sprocket

Post by Mikedearing »

I know Les at Russell Motors and hes ace - hes helped me out on my G12 CS on more occasions than I care to count - the 4 bit in spares Ill buy and the rest Ill hunt for - the machine currently has the front primary bit missing I may yet convert to a more modern primary solution if it looks like it wont go together soon.. thank you
Mikedearing

Post by Mikedearing »

and if you know the dimensions of the distance piece that be great - i have a lathe and a milling machine here.. I think one tooth on the Sprocket wont make much difference to be honest as Im uncertain what the final gearbox sprocket would be either and as long as the engine isnt being revved to silly levels I dont mind lower or higher gearing
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mikedearing wrote:I know Les at Russell Motors and hes ace - hes helped me out on my G12 CS on more occasions than I care to count - the 4 bit in spares Ill buy and the rest Ill hunt for - the machine currently has the front primary bit missing I may yet convert to a more modern primary solution if it looks like it wont go together soon.. thank you
What is front primary bit?
Mikedearing

Post by Mikedearing »

like all of it: no spring, no double sprocket, no female spline piece with the V bit on, no spacer, no locknut .. the machine came in pieces..
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mikedearing wrote:like all of it: no spring, no double sprocket, no female spline piece with the V bit on, no spacer, no locknut .. the machine came in pieces..
Well the last 4 bits of the 6 bits may be in club spares, I gave you the new part numbers, also what the parts are called. I believe for some parts stocks are low. which is why I said you may need to hurry. ( you missed out cup washer which goes on after the spring. Cup so the nut will reach the drive shaft thread. In the first instant I showed pictures with order of assembly.
Mikedearing

Post by Mikedearing »

ill get the bits from spares today hopefully then Ill go to banbury on sunday morning as well which may be a good chance..

Mike
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have been looking for my spare spacer/collar to give dimensions, this has to be correct for sprocket alignment. I cannot find it, I have a feeling I let it go. Perhaps some one in the pre war e group has one they can measure, without having to take a bike to bits. ( perhaps also a spare sprocket.) ( Some 5,000 drawings are available, but I do not see that collar listed ) If you are not in the group, a link is shown within this clubs website. I could activate the e group website to send an invitation to join e mail, to your email address. This will cut out some of the application to join procedure. Rob prewar@jampot.com
Mikedearing

Post by Mikedearing »

cheers Thank you very much...
Im rather hopeful something might turn up at Banbury - they always say its best to travel hopefully:-)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mikedearing wrote:cheers Thank you very much...
Im rather hopeful something might turn up at Banbury - they always say its best to travel hopefully:-)
You will need a good eye to spot the parts at a jumble, also if told the parts are what you want, will probably not be true. Sometimes the seller knows exactly what the parts will fit. Like when I was looking for a rear wheel spindle for my 1936 model 22 AJS. I spotted a NOS one on a stall. The seller asked me what bike I wanted the spindle for. I told him. He said correct. He then said, as I know you really want it for the bike it fits. You can have it free. If looking for such a spindle, two types will fit. There is a spacer on the spindle fitted at the correct position on the RH side. On one type this is round, the other type its hexagon. From memory I cannot recall years each type is correct. I think it was hex spacer earlier. That would need more work if made from round steel rod. The spacer collar you need looks the same as the one used into the post war era, so it is the wrong one you might find more easier. So really need dimensions. I still cannot find my spare to measure. But while looking, I found a small bag full of large type Girder fork star springs. I though I had sold all of the batch I had made. They soon got snapped up this afternoon. Good luck.
Mikedearing

Post by Mikedearing »

well I got an 18 and a 19 AMC double sprocket for £9 with a spacer so maybe... and a few other vital bits and pieces it remains to be seen whether they work.. fingers crossed