Dual seat

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
mikeydpippin

Dual seat

Post by mikeydpippin »

Another thing I meant to ask, how do you get your hand in to fit nut on the seat bolts, I got no chance.
It's a brand new seat from Leightons and to get the seat to fit I had to tilt seat towards rhs fit bolt and nut, remove toolbox to get tother nut on.
Seat looks good fit other than the fitting.
Bought the proper bolts from Spares.
Thought it may be like the G3;s where you can just about get your hand in to fit the nut.
The G80 practically impossible.
Mike
raffles

Re: Dual seat

Post by raffles »

Quick tip weld a nut to the inside of the sub frame
Tony
clive

Post by clive »

quick tip grow longer fingers
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Ring spanner and some grease.
Roy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

That is tricky. Back in the 50's I discovered an easy way, due to the space between tyre and guard. I can just hold the nut with finger and thumb. However, I found it easier to hold the nut between my two middle fingers. Having first made sure the nut spins on freely. Once started I then use a little ring spanner. Found an even easier way now. Picked up a pair of long nose forceps for £1. Lock them on the nut, more room using them than my two fingers. Cranked nose forceps also good for getting behind in tight places. Also good for holding/fitting the washer for dual seat nuts. Now nuts seem to be rusty, sometimes use a new nut. Looks like Clive has responded. It is easier to get forceps than grow longer fingers Clive. Now Roy, I am not too worried if I don't use the old rusty nut Roy.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Pack a combination spanner out with a little masking / insulation tape, it will stop the nut falling out better and less messily than grease.

Regards Mick
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I make a nut from polypropylene about 2" long with a hole at one end, threaded to suit the seat screw. A big countersink helps start off the screw. Doesn't need a spanner, just hold in position, when tight enough push out of sight. Doesn't need to be too tight as it won't unscrew (like a nylock nut). They never wear out. I've got one in the toolbox ziptied behind the welded nut which has a worn thread. It never comes undone and I don't need a screwdriver to undo it.
Dave.