Accessory Cover/ Tool Box Fixings

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Martin.S

Accessory Cover/ Tool Box Fixings

Post by Martin.S »

I've just acquired some panels and am trying to sort out how they're fixed. The parts books lists studs that I presume attach both the tool box and the accessory cover together via the two tubes that are welded under the frames battery bracket.
But these tubes have what looks like 3/8 BSF threads tapped into them - is this the norm if so are the threads used?

The accessory cover has a bracket (I haven't got one) to fix it to the frame - would anyone have a picture of it I could see? - dimensions would be great too!
Cheers
Martin
Rangy65

Re: Accessory Cover/ Tool Box Fixings

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Martin here is a picture of the one i made for my G5 its the same for a G2

I used 15mm steel angle bead its 140mm long the front hole centres for the tubes are @42mm and the hole centres for the fixing nuts for the panel are @105 mm.

The original has a n additional lip to assist it to sit on topof the two tubes.

I brazed the nuts in place but you could glue them with something like araldite.

Hope this helps
G5 side panel bracket.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

The fixing on my right-hand toolbox consists of a hinge that's spot welded onto to base of the cover.
IMG_3075.jpg
IMG_3074.jpg
The left-hand one needs a bolted bracket, like the one in Rangy's post.
IMG_3076.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

That's excellent - Thank You Chaps.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

I've got around to making up a battery cover bracket, One of the the two tubes that the long studs pass through was out of line - the stud didn't want to go through so a little tweaking had the bracket running in line with the fins of the barrel.
Fitting up the side panel the horn bracket was fouling - another tweak had this bracket sitting vertical.
Screwing in a long 1/4" screw into the upper fixing bracket I could see that this bracket isn't at right angles to the lower bracket I've made - should it?- it looks like this frame was kicked around someones garage before they powder coated it!
IMG_ bracket.jpg