Reunited!

Where is that old bike?
StewartR_LAPSED

Reunited!

Post by StewartR_LAPSED »

Hi,

My first post on this forum was seeking help tracking down a 1950 16m. I'm delighted beyond words to say I found it, with massive thanks to my amazing mum for tracking down phone numbers and passing messages.

This is the bike my parents honeymooned on in the summer of 1967 after their March wedding. Mum was about 5 months pregnant with my brother who we lost to a heart attack aged just 49 last year. More and more since that happened I've needed to track this bike down.

It's completely stripped, mudguards and tank we beyond salvation and the rims are shot but the engine and gearbox are apparently sound and the frame likewise- blasted and stove enamelled. Lots of work awaits but I can't wait to get started. In the middle of a house move and hope to collect late November.

Standby for a host of questions and a new face at the Wey Valley section.

Cheers,

Stewart.
Duncan

Re: Reunited!

Post by Duncan »

Hi Stewart that is fantastic news it is often a thankless task trying to track an old bike down.

You would be more than welcome at Way Valley and sure to get ample advice, some of it may also be useful, its an informal meeting that just gives the attendees a chance to catch up, there is also a general lunch time meeting at the pub on the second Saturday of the month if you need a reason to have a bimble, car or bike of any marque is fine (cars do tend to make more appearances as winter approaches).
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Result Stewart!! :)

Bodywork from this era is available, (manufactured in India if I'm not mistaken), or you could try Steve Surby at AMC Classic Spares for used original.

Wheel building is pretty easy if you're methodical and will save you around £70 per wheel if you do it yourself.

You've made a huge first step in re-locating the bike - enjoy the rest of your journey.

Regards Mick
StewartR_LAPSED

Mick D wrote:Hi

Result Stewart!! :)

Bodywork from this era is available, (manufactured in India if I'm not mistaken), or you could try Steve Surby at AMC Classic Spares for used original.

Wheel building is pretty easy if you're methodical and will save you around £70 per wheel if you do it yourself.

You've made a huge first step in re-locating the bike - enjoy the rest of your journey.

Regards Mick
Ooh wheel diy wheel building? My grandad used to make wheels for OEC - I wonder if I inherited the skills 🤞Is that something YouTube can teach Mick?
StewartR_LAPSED

Duncan wrote:Hi Stewart that is fantastic news it is often a thankless task trying to track an old bike down.

You would be more than welcome at Way Valley and sure to get ample advice, some of it may also be useful, its an informal meeting that just gives the attendees a chance to catch up, there is also a general lunch time meeting at the pub on the second Saturday of the month if you need a reason to have a bimble, car or bike of any marque is fine (cars do tend to make more appearances as winter approaches).
Hi Duncan, that sounds great but typically this is the weekend I'm taking my lad to the National Motorcycle Museum. We're midway through moving house at the moment so sod's law says completion will clash with the November meet but I'll certainly be at the very next meet I'm free for. Cheer, Stewart.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Stewart

I found this site a very good primer for my first wheel re-build:

http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com/2 ... again.html

Regards Mick