Clutch plates

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
ajscomboman

Re: Clutch plates

Post by ajscomboman »

What you have certainly isn't what it left the factory with and certainly shouldn't be in there, looks like a Burman set up to me not AMC.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Wow. I have no idea what that clutch is off.
It looks British (rather than Japanese or European), but I don't think it's Burman or AMC... :?
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
oldgit61

Post by oldgit61 »

Well it fits in a G2.
Looks like I'll have to do some cleaning up, and see if it works.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ignore the sprocket as mine is a CSR with a duplex chain but the rest of the clutch should be similar* to the G2.

*different number of plates but they all fit the same way, ie lugs on the outside of steel plates and tags on the inside of friction plates.
Vesta's clutch.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldgit61

Post by oldgit61 »

The clutch outer looks the same, but the inner is completely different, yours has a finer spline ( more tabs) than mine. And 2 less springs.
Not sure but your clutch looks a larger diameter than mine. The sprocket on mine is larger than the basket, yours is the otherway round.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Mine is correct.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Janet wrote:Mine is correct.

So there. :lol:
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Janet

Post by Janet »

Expat wrote:
Janet wrote:Mine is correct.

So there. :lol:
I was somewhat succinct but was heading off to bed.

Gary has said he is building up the bike from parts so we have no evidence that all the bits had been on a running bike together. It may be that the clutch he has Will function on the G2 but even with my limited knowledge of mechanicals I'm aware that it isn't just a case of fitting a clutch on a shaft. I'm sure Gary knows this better than I do. A couple of things that come to mind are, did the rest of the clutch come with it, i.e. the centre with rubber inserts or, perhaps, that type doesn't use them, fitting on the shaft differently. How many teeth are on the sprocket and do they match the chain size?

I appreciate that clutches are hard to come by, although not impossible, but I feel that sourcing one may be easier than getting to fit the one Gary has. Of course, I could be wrong and hope he is successful.
oldgit61

Post by oldgit61 »

Janet, the clutch I have was in the engine when I bought it. It had been in there a long time, judging by the condition of it. The rest of the engine seemed in OK condition, with the exception of the big end.( with is now sorted, 1100 kawasaki big end bearing fitted). So I am presuming that it had been running on this (small) clutch before the big end went. The sprocket must be the right size as the primary chain in standard length.

Just had a message from someone in a facebook group saying he had a G2 many years ago and he remembers that having a 5 spring clutch.
Janet

Post by Janet »

That's good. Pursuing this via the person on FB seems to be your best route to finding more about it.

I'll shut up now.