1937 AJS 250 side stand

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Rob Harknett

Re: 1937 AJS 250 side stand

Post by Rob Harknett »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:I have seen prop stands made along the lines of a car Trailer drop down leg. Come in Spridler ???? I am sure you made one
Not me, Rob, but I did modify mine with a tang to hook it out with my toe when astride.
Hitchcocks can supply a 'Universal' side stand for 30 quid. They recommend using a grub screw on the clamp prevent it from turning.

http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/16368

The club has Lightweight stands for £280

http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=21903
I was going to mention Grub screw Sprid, don't bother with it. Back in the 50's I could never get them to screw in and spike the frame enough to stop the stand twisting on the lower frame rail. You could end up with a score line halfway round the tube and weaken it. I guess a more permanent fixing would be. Get the stand fitted in the correct position, then weld the back shell of the clamp to the frame. That then becomes part of the frame rail, the stand still removable.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
56G80S wrote:"The club has Lightweight stands for £280"

Come on Nev - those fingers are slipping. Or is this really the price?
LW prop stand (640x249).jpg
But it's O.K. they don't have any ;)
Not likely to ever be anymore now Andrew Engineering have ceased manufacturing.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The clamp on wassell type ones come in 1/8" increments from 7/8" so one could be available to fit the smaller frame rails they are not the prettiest of things but function is probably more important than form, if you can manufacture the try one from a jumble or breakers and make a bracket to bolt on in two places.

Have you got the bike now?
How do you find it?