AJS Cadwell Clubman.

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
skydiver

Re: AJS Cadwell Clubman.

Post by skydiver »

Shortly after buying my new AJS Cadwell the front brake caliper made a bid for freedom and due to the"linked braking system"I was obliged to ride about four miles to my home without any brakes....I repaired it myself.Several owners have suffered electrical problems---mainly due to connection faults either in the headlamp or under the seat.Some have reported the wiring under the rear mudguard being worn through by touching the tyre---an easy fix--but it wouldn't happen if care was taken during assembly....A nice little machine but let down by mainly minor faults..Blue skies.KC.
Baldybiker

Post by Baldybiker »

If I were in the market for a 125, yes, I would certainly buy one.
My reason for this (apart from the marque and that they are rather a neat looking little thing) is that they are supplied by F2 Motorcycles Ltd. If they were not up to muster F2 would not be selling them.
I have no business or spurious connection with F2 by the way, but have bought several machines over the years from this unusually honest and incredibly knowledgable dealer.
skydiver

Post by skydiver »

Yet another brake problem for me now on the Cadwell….The brakes are linked with the brake pedal operating both front and rear brakes.....Or should do....No matter how much pressure is applied it makes NO difference at all! I had the front caliper make a bid for freedom---which I fixed,now it's trouble with the foot brake...Illegal to ride the machine in this condition....Not very pleased....KC.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

Are the lines linked directly, or do they run through a compensator.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Do you mean that neither the front nor the back works when the pedal is operated?
Do they work when the h/bar lever is used?
You're probably more familiar with hydraulic brakes on bikes than I am but it sounds to me that the foot pedal may be getting to the end of its mechanical travel before there's sufficient hydraulic pressure to operate the brakes. Perhaps when the caliper came adrift the pistons exited too far allowing air to leak into the system. :?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
skydiver

Post by skydiver »

Neither brake works when the pedal is used....Front brake works O.K. when using hand lever...Contacted supplier who told me that it was out of warranty as it hadn't been serviced on schedule----Even if you don't ride it--It must be serviced!!!!They wanted fifty quid just to collect it...I've suffered two braking problems one of which left me with NO BRAKES AT ALL....As a disabled army veteran I can't run the risk of being stranded due to unreliability....I'm beginning to consider that the machine is "Unfit-for-purpose"...It doesn't start using the kickstarter,two brake failures and a speedometer which doesn't comply with current regulations--reading very optimistic....Would I recommend one to a friend?----Ha ha...Not likely....KC.
REW

Post by REW »

Is there no club member near enough to skydiver to have a look and perhaps diagnose the problem? Sadly I am miles away, as usual :(
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

The service aspect is only relevant if the issue could have been prevented or discovered at point of service. The service schedule is milage or time which ever comes first. Unfortunately, it's not when the user/owner deems it necessary. Trading standards would probably advise, and possibly the importer/manufacturer (in this case ajs) that the compromise is to have the bike serviced to maintain the warranty and at the same time the brakes can be inspected and repaired. If it runs and the front brake works, it doesn't need collecting. However, £50 is not expensive. Vehicle, fuel, time and a driver. I would suggest to speak to the dealer with this proposal. Or approach ajs. But that might put the dealers nose out more.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Before I bought my Chinese 'Mutchless' (Suzuki GN 250 engine) from the importer, a proper bike dealer 120 miles away, I phoned the half dozen long established dealers up to 20 miles from my home enquiring about servicing. None would touch it: 'Haven't got the parts', 'No experience of them', 'No manuals or tech info' etc.
Unfortunately many of these Chinese bike suppliers and eBay sellers are merely 'pop-up' box shifters with little or no after sales interest, spares or mechanical expertise.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
REW

Post by REW »

And sadly, none of this helps skydiver. Any one within a short ride of him, "West Midlands"?
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.