alternator replacement

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
silverbob

alternator replacement

Post by silverbob »

Hi Guys am looking to replace or repair my 1960 g5 alternator due to it being badly fitted and having a coil chewed. Have looked through the forum but could find no up to date information. Is there a replacement 6v lucas unit available that will fit. If not will have to have the coil rewound and rewire the unit. Problem with that is all diagrams I have found do not match my unit. Diagrams show the orange wire going to coil 6 where mine goes to coil 3 the green wire going to coil 1 mine goes to coil 4.The white going to coils 3 and 4 mine going to 1 and 6. I am not an electrician but can build wiring looms and rewire a bike but alternators are a no no can anyone shed some light on this or am I just being an idiot :evil: Have tried downloading pictures but can not get them small enough will have to get my old camera charged and try again.
Martin.S

Re: alternator replacement

Post by Martin.S »

Regarding picture size - I save the picture to my desk top and then open it up in Microsoft Paint and reduce its size there and save,
Probably a long way round but it works.
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

I fitted an old lucas alternator to my m14 . It's an early open coil type ( possibly RM 15 ? ) . The stator is the right size but needed fatter studs . I am lucky enough to have an ancient lathe so made these up myself . The rotor fitted on no problem ,correct bore size . It is a 3 wire alternator so decided to convert to 12 volts by coupling 2 wires together (google will tell you which )and using solid state rectifier and zener diode off a triumph . Kicks out enough power to run ignition without battery coupled as a test . They come up on E bay quite often . Hope this helps . Paul.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Any of these diagrams match. Theres 4
http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Ele ... -60ies.pdf
silverbob

Post by silverbob »

Thanks for that Rob but none match my wiring will try and make a drawing and post later
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

silverbob wrote:Thanks for that Rob but none match my wiring will try and make a drawing and post later
Perhaps your bike has been fitted with a non standard part requiring the wiring to be altered, hence your wiring does not match to a standard wiring diagram. So I assume, if you revert back to what was standard, you would also need to revert back to standard wiring. Perhaps an expert will confirm this.
raffles

Post by raffles »

This is just from memory but was the wiring not wipac originally?
Tony
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

raffles wrote:This is just from memory but was the wiring not wipac originally?
Tony
Yes light weight electrics are Wipac, it was Wipac diagrams I gave the link for Tony. There were 4 drawings covering various model 1969 to 1964. There's 3 diagrams in the 1965 instruction book, not sure if any differ from 1958/64.
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf
silverbob

Post by silverbob »

034.JPG
Scan.jpg
Hi guys have sorted a few things with alternator as to cost an overhaul is £250 so will be doing it myself. Have ordered new cables, sheathing and shrink wrap.Before I start cutting wires I am looking for information on the coils, as I am no electrician but can follow a diagram which way are the coil ie on my rough diagram the white wire goes to coils 1 and 6 ! ( I know this is wrong but this is what is in my bike hence a rewire also one coil is damaged due to not being bolted in properly), Going by diagram is this the center or the outside of coil.this diagram is only a quick drawing as haven't worked out the in and outs yet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.