1955 G9 Paint Job.

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
JTu

1955 G9 Paint Job.

Post by JTu »

I've had a 1955 G9 for a couple of years and it's been great. It's looking a bit scruffy so I want to do it up a bit so I've been trying to see what the original colours would have been. The V5 says its black but it has maroon paint around the wheel rims and a bright orange tank. The chrome on the rims is peeling so I'll get them re-chromed or replaced but I don't know what to do about the tank. Examples of 55 G9's with maroon paint on the wheel rims seem to have maroon and chrome tanks - I bet that's an expensive paint job!

I can't decide whether to:

a. Sort the wheels and leave the tank as it is.
b. Sort the wheels and have the tank pained black.
c. Sort the wheels and find a maroon/chrome tank.
d. Do nothing, just enjoy the bike as it is.

Any advice?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Re: 1955 G9 Paint Job.

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_02 March 2019_12h03m33s_002_.jpg
Bike looks about right except the tank was Red & Chrome. Not sure if they did an all black version, see pic how it is seen in sales cats. ( used a 1956 sales cat as its in colour )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

when did the option of a chrome tank become available in the uk.
Rob, i think you are cheating using a foreign sales brochure
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I think the machine dating service should be able to define the colour it left the factory, give G15 Roy a PM with the frame and engine numbers and he'll be able to confirm what information is available - there's a fee for the certificate but I feel it's a document worth having as it adds to the provenance of the bike.

Regards Mick
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

TR.JPG
There are no colours listed on the factory dispatch records it all comes for the sales brochure. or my 1955 Trusty Rusty,
Roy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

alanengineer wrote:when did the option of a chrome tank become available in the uk.
Ashampoo_Snap_02 March 2019_14h06m08s_001_.jpg
eemm. Every bike owner should get the literature for their bike. It will answer most questions they would need to know. In this case, making a decision. they will see in the sales cat. the bike has a red and chrome tank. They will read the " finish " in specifications. The twin has a chrome tank. See it's red in the picture. In this case only the owner can decide what he wants to do. I would ask myself, if the tank is suitable to be restored to its former glory, do I really want to do it. I would say yes, as I love this pretty model with its red & chrome late 30's style de lux model tank. That would then leave the cost to be considered. All red is non standard. I would probably end up painting it black like other models are. Still not correct, but more like a Matchless should look. I would be happy. I believe I have now answered the question. So I can now only say to the owner, do what ever you would be happy with, that would give you most pleasure in owning the bike. I had owned a bike that had wrong type badges, that really bugged me, once changed to correct as I would have wanted, I was happy. I only have at hand the 55 English version of the sales cat. scanned B&W. so I used a 56 sales cat in colour, so you could see better, the pretty tank in Red & Chrome,
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_02 March 2019_14h39m10s_002_.jpg
This is from 1939 note as you cannot see the colour they tell you the tank is Aldwich Red. It has been said. Adlwich Red was left over paint from a contract to supply Aldwich Post Office bikes. ( not maroon ) See here for 1955 tank finish advise. http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tan ... ckson).pdf
Amazon Red is a recommended colour to use. The person that made the recommendation got their paint from Dover motor cycles
raffles

Post by raffles »

Just ride and enjoy the bike
Tony
JTu

Post by JTu »

Thanks everybody, at least you've confirmed that the tank isn't the original colour. All I need to do now is make a decision. I might follow Tony's advice and leave it as it is.
John
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

alanengineer wrote:when did the option of a chrome tank become available in the uk.
G9 seems to have been introduced in 1949, see sales cat. Tank finish stated Chrome & Aldwich Red, so was not a option, it was standard. 1950/ 51 likewise but colour seen and not stated. 1952/ 53 seen all black. ( I think during this era a lot of chrome finish stopped. Korean war shortage??? ) 1954 its back to standard Red & Chrome for G9. I don't know this info, I look in literature. Anyone can do this as the literature is freely available for all to use.