East Yorkshire says goodbye

Grawding

East Yorkshire says goodbye

Post by Grawding »

It is with great sadness that our section confirms the passing of Nick Campbell. As I write this message it is not lost on me that Nick had the same task writing our sections first message on the passing of Steve Rea another valued member of our section. Nick was our area representative for the main club and well liked and respected by the section. His section runs in North Yorkshire generally run from Pickering were legendary in both length, content and locations passed through and visited, a willing helper at the club and one of the furtherest travelled to monthly meetings. As a fellow electrician and one of a number in our section lively banter on the Regulations or the state of the industry was the norm but always with good humour and a quip to add to the general mayhem of our meetings, he will be greatly missed by all.

Nick Campbells memorial service will be at St Johns Church Sleights North Yorkshire at 12.30 on Friday the 1st of March bikes very welcome donations to British Heart Foundation.

Number of us will be travelling to the memorial on bikes meeting at Fimber around 10.30 and travelling to Pickering before setting off to Sleights around 11.30 - 11.45.

Glenn
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value.
Albert Einstein.
Grawding

Re: East Yorkshire says goodbye

Post by Grawding »

At our section meeting last night we were pleased to receive a talk by Noel Stokoe the Publicity Officer & Librarian for Jowett Cars. I mention this under this heading as Nick arrange this event for the club having sent a hand written letter to Noel having seen his cars out and about in North Yorkshire. Noel read out this letter at the meeting and referred to Nicks memorial last Friday and the packed, standing room only church and the number of our section members who attended. He took photos of a number of bikes that attend fittingly two of the marque an AJS single and Twin.

Following a period of quiet reflection then a Pea & Pie supper we were treated to a lovely and knowledgeable talk and slide show on the history of Jowett Cars built in Bradford from the turn of the century to the demise in the mid 50s (sounds familiar to a number of bike companies!!!) Jowett were early contributors to the first Scott motorcycles but fell out due to the constant changes being made to each machine.

Nick on his travels had met a Jowett owner up a mountain in Europe, mentioned he had seen similar vehicles near his home to be told those will be Stokoes' and that probably planted the seed for a future meeting talk for the section, that was the measure of Nick and the lost to the section.

Finally he would have been chuckling over the lack of a suitable lead to connect the hotel projector last night his solution would have been far more professional and the issue quickly resolved. He would still receive the usual old men behaving badly verbal abuse as I did smiled and carried on. A Man of Value.

RIP mate.
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value.
Albert Einstein.
Greybeard

Re: East Yorkshire says goodbye

Post by Greybeard »

It was an excellent evening. Hats off to Nick for arranging it. He's a chap who I'll remember as always wearing a smile as wide as his beloved North Yorkshire Moors and ever ready to pull the occasional leg.

Gone too soon, but never forgotten.

Steve