Removing the oil tank hoses

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
mjf65

Removing the oil tank hoses

Post by mjf65 »

Hoping for a bit of advice please. I'm getting my new to me AJS model 31DL (1960) back onto the road after purchasing the bike in from a club member last October, there hasn't been much to do really, worst job was cleaning the manky tank liner out, horrible job.

Anyway I want to check if there is a filter fitted in the top of the oil supply hose? There is a chrome fitting with a jubilee clip which secures it in place. I'm having trouble removong it as the return line is so close you can get a spanner on it. Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike (Bristol owners club)
Rob Harknett

Re: Removing the oil tank hoses

Post by Rob Harknett »

The bike literature, should answer your question. What may have been fitted non standard, only you could discover. I can see no reason for fitting a filter in the top of the supply hose, as I am sure the oil would have been filtered on its return back in the tank. Just think, if there was a filter, it could get clogged up with muck, and would stop oil from leaving the tank to the engine.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

There should be a gauze filter in the feed pipe. see page 13 of the 1960 manual:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... models.pdf

Dave.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Mike

is this the filter you are checking for:
Oil tank filter.PNG
Its sounds like you may have the end covers fitted to braided oil lines, have tou tried removing the return line to get more room?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

Thank you all for your help, that is the indeed the filter if it's still fitted? I guess it's main purpose is to protect and debris getting sucked into the delivery pump to prevent it jamming but if it isn't kept clean it could cause long term damage with cavitation. Hopefully will have a go later tonight to see if I can get them off but I don't think they have moved for years.

I've already removed the crankcase filter and it looks like it has been fitted with the later 1962 felt over mesh filter rather than straigh mesh as descibed for the 1960 model year.
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

Both hoses successfully removed and refitted this afternoon, no gauze filter fitted on the oil suction line unlike as described in the owner's manual. I guess that it has run ok for the last twenty years with the previous owner so I'm not going to worry. Next job is draining the gearbox oil and replacing with fresh engine oil but I don't have the right spanner or socket can anyone advise on what I should be buying?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I was thinking of the wrong era when the oil tank had a felt filter. I only have a twin with the later tank with gauze filter. The felt filter in the engine. I guess the tanks with gauze exit filter only stopped larger particles, like those in petrol tanks.
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

Would the gauze filter still available on the club spares scheme?
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

mjf65 wrote:Would the gauze filter still available on the club spares scheme?
Yes
015198.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Check the gauze strainer hasn't been fitted the other way around, (down inside the oil pipe) - mine was.

Regards Mick