Rear mudguard - removable section

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Oggers

Rear mudguard - removable section

Post by Oggers »

Afer removing the QR wheel - ha! - for the speedo gerabox job, it was duly replaced, along with the rearmost removable section of the mudguard. I have to tell you it is proving to be a complete and utter pig to obtain a relatively flush fit at the join. It wasn't too bad prior to disassembly, but for some reason, I ended up with a gap of @3mm on one side when reassembling. Utter nightmare. Fiddled with the central tang, ensured all sufaces are clean and free of any impeding blebs, bent up some of the main section on the mating face to assist in accomodating the lip on the removable section which fits under it, filed some bits away, and eventually resorted to an angle grinder to skim off a little off the mating face of the main section to try and achieve an acceptable gap all round when mated up. Not too bad at present - but a real fight!

Tips welcome.....
Rob Harknett

Re: Rear mudguard - removable section

Post by Rob Harknett »

Yes can be a pig to fit without a gap. Often takes some getting in, but if it came out OK it should go in OK, I have never had to alter anything, just keep trying tll it goes in OK. So always get the tab to fit before the side bolts, where you have a little freedom of movement. A bit of a wiggle and push will eventually get the tab in with no gap. You cannot do this if you have fitted the the side bolts, even just fitted loosely.
Oggers

Post by Oggers »

Rob - I can tell you the tab has been wiggled to death, chamfered and filed to not much effect. Pretty certain it is not the constraint preventing a minimal gap.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Oggers wrote:Tips welcome.....
Hi Oggers

I'm not sure if this is an option for future wheel removals but I'd investigate leaving the mudguard assembled.

My G3 doesn't have a removable section so I sought advice from the collective - see here, it may work for you:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23778

Regards Mick