luggage rack

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Paul R

luggage rack

Post by Paul R »

Luggage racks for lightweights seem a bit thin on the ground so had a go at knocking one up last week based on a what mounting points could be used and a reference to the pillion footrest extra threaded holes were for rack supports . Surprising amount of metal , over 5 metres of 1/2 inch tube all in all . Bent round a groove in a steel block in vice to avoid kinking the tubes then mig welded. Pictures show trial fit and then back from local powdercoat chap. Pleased with the results and cheap enough . Steel tube £9 odd and £15 for powder coating .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Re: luggage rack

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'd call that a result :beer: Sort of thing that should be written up in more detail for others to benefit from.

Regards Mick
shifter

Post by shifter »

I chopped welded and painted an old MZ 250 rack for my A.J.S.250 and its champion for a bit camping gear strapped on with bungies
shifter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shifter on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
?
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I'd call that a result :beer: Sort of thing that should be written up in more detail for others to benefit from.

Regards Mick
If it helps will give some pointer on how I cobbled this together with no fancy bending tools and such later . Cheers
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

If anyone fancies having a go at making a rack attached is a rough plan of how I did this . Tools needed ,hacksaw ,vice round and flat file ,drill , hammer ,welder ( but could be brazed or silver soldered )
The main tubes are all 1/2 inch mild steel 16 gauge . I brought 2 x 3mtr lengths chopped in half . Also 12 inch 3/8 steel rod to but in the joints to help with alignment and welding . All the bends are the same radius .
I used a 4 inch piece of steel round bar with a groove cut in it 1/2 inch wide and 1/4 deep as a former, but hardwood should do the job just as well. Trap the tube in a vice with the former and a steady pull should give a 90 degree bend ,putting a piece of the 3/8 rod in the end in the vice will keep it round .
4 of these for the top and 2 for the main frame . Cut the 2 tube ends on each bends to length and insert 2 inch or so of 3/8 rod where the joints are and tack weld . Flatten and drill the main frame ends before joining together . Trial fit
to shock mounts and cut the supports to the mudgard bolts to suit This helps to get this all nice and square . Finally weld in the 4 support uprights . Slap a bit of paint on or powder coat to taste . Basically thats it . Worst part is making the former ,after that pretty much plain sailing .
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

I brought 2 x 3mtr lengths
Where did you bring it from?

Well done - neat job.
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

" the metal store " Cleckheaton West Yorks.
www.themetalstore.co.uk
or 01274 875479