Tank Rubbers

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Martin.S

Tank Rubbers

Post by Martin.S »

A2_276.jpg
(Photo courtesy of the N.O.C.)

Les at Russels has sent me these tank rubbers from the Commando as a replacement for rear tank mounts on my lightweight.
They measure :- Large Dia 1 1/2" x 1/4", Small Dia 5/8" x 3/16" with a 3/8" hole
They look like the crumbling remains that came with my tank.
But what should the front mounts look like?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Re: Tank Rubbers

Post by Rob Harknett »

Once again I repeat the, how you could find a fitting size procedure. As most fittings have been used since prewar / pre 1952 era, when parts lists also gave many sizes in description, many sizes not being given in post 52 parts lists. Check to see if the part number converts to an old part number. Now lets see, G2 chain adjuster has a nut 000290. Strait away I see that as old pt. no. STD 290. You can check by going to the new/old parts list conversion book. I put it top of the list in the archives, so easy to find. http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ements.pdf
Here you will see 000290 or STD290 (old pt. no. ) is 1/4" 26 TPI. So the adjuster must also have 1/4" x 26 TPI thread. Easy to discover yourself. A lot quicker than asking some one else to do it for you. You also see for yourself, the correct size.
SAME PROCEEDURE as above for the tank rubbers etc. EXCEPT, this time also find a pre 1952 parts list for a picture. The parts list description will tell you the thickness of the TWO rubbers you need, Top and bottom. Also a picture of the rubbers. I've looked in 1950 parts list. For some parts you may need to go back to the WD Matchless parts list.
Ashampoo_Snap_21 April 2019_10h55m29s_001_.jpg
DO NOT FORGET. If ordering parts you must use the NEW part no. This has been what you have had to do since AMC introduced the new part numbering series back in 1952. THe only exception being, if you find some NOS parts made before 1952, that show an old pt.no.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Thanks Rob I hadn't seen that conversion list before.
I can find the part 014996 in the way you described but I can't see any reference to say 044335 - the other front rubber or the sleeve for the same 021455 - how do I search for these?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Martin just use what's available and make it fit. I don't believe the original parts are available from anywhere and most tend to use what's already available.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

I appreciate that their not available but would like to know what they looked like to see what I can find - are they top hat shaped - just plain rubber washers and how thick?
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

The top two were top hat shape and i'm guessing now 30od 8 thick x 16od 3 thick with 10dia hole, small dia fits into fixing bracket, tank sits on larger dia. The bottom two are 30od 3 thick with 10dia hole.

Two penny washers and two stepped bolts with wire locking holes plus the locking wire.

I would use these.............................

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Tank-Mo ... SwI2xbYDWt

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

That's brilliant Colin - Thank You
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Martin.S wrote:Thanks Rob I hadn't seen that conversion list before.
I can find the part 014996 in the way you described but I can't see any reference to say 044335 - the other front rubber or the sleeve for the same 021455 - how do I search for these?
We are not aware of the year/model of your bike Martin. Changes may have been made from 58/59. All these tank fittings seem to be available from club spares.
Ashampoo_Snap_21 April 2019_18h44m08s_001_.jpg
The conversion lists are dated. The lists start off with some 60 ish supplements. The main list is circa 1955 ( not looked and cant remember ) What ever the conversion list date is, you will not find any parts introduced after the conversion list date. You may see the 55 ish list highest 6 digit number listed is 021133. So you can now understand why you could not fine 044335 and 021455. These parts being introduced after the conversion list date. So finding dimensions and pictures via the old parts lists not possible.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

But they are not lightweight part numbers and this post is in G2/14 so the bike would be a lightweight.
only dead fish go with the flow
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

I had some rubbers that were 1 1/8th diameter - a 1/16th undersize but hey ho!
I turned up a mandrel out of some scrap aluminium and using Evostick I glued a rubber to the mandrel (to stop it from spinning) and then mounted a Dremmel type tool to the tool post on the lathe and with a cutter turned both the Dremmel and the lathe on and cut the rubber to size - I'm chuffed with the results.
Mandrel.jpg
Cutting.jpg