QD rear wheel?

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Mollbhan

QD rear wheel?

Post by Mollbhan »

Just taken the QD back wheel off my 1961 G12 to change the tyre, what a struggle, the QD bit is simple enough just one nut and remove the spindle, but how do you get the wheel out past the deeply valanced mudguards and the rear fork, I ended up digging a hole under the wheel to drop it down far enough, try that on your concrete garage floor. Is this normally a two or three man operation or am I missing some secret?
Duncan

Re: QD rear wheel?

Post by Duncan »

Pre 1959 bikes has a removable section in the rear mudguard, the job was easy, if away from home you either need to find a kerb or lay the bike over, removing the silencer can help, its called progress.
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

I was thinking the same thing looking at my 650. I guess you could try and put a block under the centre stand to allow more clearance but having said that I'm having enough of a problem getting it on the centre stand anyway, terrible design.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

See my thread here:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... el+removal

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

mjf65 wrote:I was thinking the same thing looking at my 650. I guess you could try and put a block under the centre stand to allow more clearance but having said that I'm having enough of a problem getting it on the centre stand anyway, terrible design.
Before the adverts police get me, there is a solution to the centre stand problem if you look in the trade adverts area of the Jampot. ;) ;)

Tut tut. ......Adverts Police
bob121

Post by bob121 »

The manual suggests to lay it over if I remember correctly. Fortunately I have access to a ramp and can drop the wheels straight down through the removable section. I've enjoyed putting the miles on mine, but dread having to do any maintenance. Which is quite frequently as I'm running it in. The contempt for the consumer is beyond belief. The centre stand is on my shopping list once the fettling is done.
Mollbhan

Post by Mollbhan »

Not sure if I could pick my bike up again if I laid it over, I do like the idea of pushing boards under the centre stand while leaning the bike over but I think if I have to do the job again I would pick a place where I could dig a hole underneath it, don't feel such a dick for having done that now.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Mollbhan wrote:Not sure if I could pick my bike up again if I laid it over, I do like the idea of pushing boards under the centre stand while leaning the bike over but I think if I have to do the job again I would pick a place where I could dig a hole underneath it, don't feel such a dick for having done that now.
It's probably easier to carry some small bits of wood with you to put under the stand, rather than carry a spade in case you have to dig a hole? Alternatively, find a spot like a kerb (somewhere safe though) where you can park a bike with the rear wheel hanging over the edge. I can confirm that the centre stand solution mentioned elsewhere in this thread does indeed work. I no longer have to risk getting a hernia, or enlist the help of strangers to get the bike on the stand.

Malc