Starting Issue

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
dada

Starting Issue

Post by dada »

Just finished rebuild when tried to start the engine it turns on two rounds but then it seems i has clutch that slips but cannot get it started any ideas what is wrong after rebuild.
Mick D

Re: Starting Issue

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Sounds like your clutch is slipping:

Check the adjustment at the push rod is correct, you should have a little free play here.
Check the adjustment of the handle bar lever is correct, again there should be a little free play.
Increase the tension on the clutch springs a little, the mushroom screws should be about level with the pressure plate.

If it still slips dis-assemble the clutch and clean all of the plates, re-adjust everything and see if it still slips.

Regards Mick
dada

Post by dada »

Will do it thanks
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Did you not clean the plates when rebuilding? If they stood oiled up for a while plates are sure to slip. A good scrub with petrol will clean them and remove any shinny bunrt oil. Let them dry out, perhaps dust with Fullers Earth powder. I think its still available, its what was used years ago. Often have to do this to my bikes after left standing a while unused. First signs are, clutch slips trying to start the bike. Only cure is to clean.
dada

Post by dada »

Will do thanks :)
dada

Post by dada »

Clutch cleaned seems it is holding now but engine still haven't fired yet I think the carb is the problem :/
dada

Post by dada »

Tried Starting Today

Check the adjustment at the push rod is correct, you should have a little free play here. (I removed all Play)

Timing is on compression and spark is good.

I will deassamble carb again to see maybe it has something else
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

Rob Harknett wrote: Let them dry out, perhaps dust with Fullers Earth powder. I think its still available, its what was used years ago. Often have to do this to my bikes after left standing a while unused. First signs are, clutch slips trying to start the bike. Only cure is to clean.
Branded as Cat Litter :twisted:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

dada wrote:Tried Starting Today
Timing is on compression and spark is good.
I will deassamble carb again to see maybe it has something else
Is the sparkling plug getting wet? It should if fuel is getting into the cylinder but not firing.
You could remove the plug and tip say a teaspoonful of petrol into the plug hole, replace the plug and try again.
When cleaning the carb it is essential to check that the pilot jet and the tiny pilot drillings are clear. The drillings can become gummed up over time and just squirting carb cleaner into them is rarely enough. A powerful compressed air blast is best (or from your own or a garage tyre inflator) - or ultrasonic cleaning if available. It's the pilot jet and drillings (see pics below) that supply fuel when starting, i.e. when the throttle is closed or only up to 1/4 open.
Monobloc pilot drillings (511x640) (359x450).jpg
Drillings 7, 8, 9 and 10 here:
Mononloc left side (530x556).jpg
Open the plug gap to about 5 or 6mm when it should still spark in the open air.
Try a different (new) plug as a plug can spark fine when in the open air but fail when in the cylinder and under compression.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dada

Post by dada »

Plug is not wet with fuel will de-assamble again carb and air pressure trough holes and try again.

I filled up the float camber with a siringe from bleeding valve and tried to start without tank and pipe attached to carb avoid scratching tank for the moment.

Spark there is outside the chamber good and compression seems well.