Kickstarting may damage your communication

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
poplargreg

Kickstarting may damage your communication

Post by poplargreg »

It is common knowledge that the S8 and above Samsung smartphones have the most fragile screens of any model (these are the "infinity" ones with wrap around edges). For this reason they are the first Samsung phone where screen damage is not covered by warranty.

If you google "S8 screen cracking" or similar to will see many images of phones that have been dropped and have starburst cracks around the edges, similar to that caused by a stone hitting a windscreen. My S8 recently developed straight line cracks on one day (five in total) across the face, running in different directions. I have always carried my phones in my right hand jeans' pocket, have never dropped them or suffered any screen damage on any of them until now.

I am sure it was caused by the torsional stress imparted by starting my G3L. That is, three prods with the valve lifter raised, two starting kicks. A friend of my son had the same damage caused when he twisted round in his car seat to buckle up his child in the back seat. The damage is not to the screen itself, but to the very hard "gorilla glass" it is faced with.

It is rather annoying, as the cracks can be felt when swiping the screen, but does not prevent use. A repair would cost around £200 (or you could change to an I-phone!). Hope this may prevent the same happening to other users.
GOLDSTAR

Re: Kickstarting may damage your communication

Post by GOLDSTAR »

lost me I thought S8 was a post war Sunbeam m/cycle!. kind regards
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

GOLDSTAR wrote:lost me I thought S8 was a post war Sunbeam m/cycle!. kind regards
LOL Keep up at the back, I'm older than you!

;)
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Or just get the "reborn" Nokia 6, just like the old Nokia's. Very robust, reliable and with good battery. Not the fastest, not the very best camera but what do you want it for?

Sony Xperia are rubbish too, so much bloatware there's no internal memory left.

Johnny B
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Talking about kick starting, on the ferry to Sicily two days ago loads of bikes, but my little Morini the only one with a Kickstarter! Nice 22 degrees here! :D
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

They made a big issue about the rounded edge as a selling point when it first came out. Now its proved to be a feature that can soon cause damage, I guess they will keep quite about it. Per future models will see a return to the old type screens. My old S4 is still perfect.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

I've yet to damage any of my oneplus phones kick starting any of my bikes ;)
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?