Oiling swinging arm

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Oiling swinging arm

Post by 56G80S »

I needed to do this and recently have used a hypo body and SAE 50 - incorrect I know but what I had.

After a trip to Smith & Allans at Darlington to get engine oil and grease ( because the 25 litre drum of the former nearly empty) I bought some SAE140.

Also found Dad had left me an early one of these https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/223006026854/ a Super Jet Oiler.

Matchless on side stand, little screw out, reasonable warm day. Measure in to 100 mark on the bottle although no idea what that meant but so I could see how much I got in. Very little. I know there's little space between the cover and the bush / shaft, I put it in years ago and progress on this often slow. I can only thing that the SAE50 is still in there. Surely not.

There's no play on the s/arm.

Perhaps go back to using the blunt hypo with it's wider nozzle jammed into the orifice so acts a bit like a gun.

Ho hum.

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Re: Oiling swinging arm

Post by Rob Harknett »

Lots of stuff the ladies use like Hair treatment comes in little plastic bottles with a long spout. Save them, They are ideal for shooting oil in places like the swinging arm. Also handy filled with Mastic sealant, the get a finer bead if needed. Grouting, the use for those little plastic bottles is endless. I even used a bit of spout off one to make a new wind screen washer jet that got broken.