Rocker removal

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Andy51

Rocker removal

Post by Andy51 »

Hi All, I wish to replace a pushrod side rocker on my '54 G80S without the faff of removing the rocker box (which also means removing tank, etc, etc). The rocker arms are always very tight on the axle splines, and in the past I have always done this job with the head off, using the nut on the valve side (adding washers as I proceed) to pull the rocker axle out of the arm splines, as there is room in the rocker box to almost get it free. I can then wiggle the arm off the last bit of engagement on the splines. To refit, I use the pushrod side nut to pull the shaft back in place. Any suggestions on how to pull the pushrod side rocker arm off? There doesn't seem enough room to use a bearing puller, and I hate removing the rocker box as it always seems to settle on the gasket a few miles after re-fitting, causing small but unsightly oil leaks at the joint with the head. Cheers, Andy
Mick D

Re: Rocker removal

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm pretty sure you could tap the shaft through the arm towards the drive side - just be careful when re-assembling to position the rocker onto the valve.

If it doesn't want to move I'd bite the bullet and remove the rocker box.

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Re: Rocker removal

Post by ajscomboman »

Andy I tried doing the same thing when swapping out the arm for a L/W one but if you try to tap the spindle it pushes the bush in and you end up with too much end float. Off with the rocker box I'm afraid as it'll save time in the long run.