Mod and rockers

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Mod and rockers

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Last year I saw my mate's Ducati 900 and he'd bought a 'window' so he could see the Desmodromic valve gear working. it inspired me.

Today I had a play and made a Perspex rocker cover for my Ajay 350. I made it from 6mm Perspex. I wanted to see what it looked like, viewing the oil flow as well as seeing the rockers going up and down. It only took me an hour or so to make and fit.

I realise it's not original etc, but it's a ten minute job to put it back to standard. I tidied the cork gasket after I took the picture. It didn't mist up or leak. Maybe I need to get out more! :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Plugsnpoints on Mon May 13, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spookefoote1956

Re: Mod and rockers

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Outrageous, it's highly un-original. I love it! :beer:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

spookefoote1956 wrote:Outrageous, it's highly un-original. I love it! :beer:
Why thank you sir!

I reckon there might be an untapped market for these? :rofl:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Perspecs ( Acrylic ) is brittle. It could easily crack. If heated it will stress, any solvent would then cause it to crack. It also needs little heat for it to bend. Polycarbonate would have been a better choice of material. Its tough, it will not craze if heat stressed and gets solvent on it, does not crack, could even be hit with a hammer. ( Working with plastics was my trade, I have seen all I have mentioned happen to goods made. )
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It's awright Rob, he said he was only playing about and that he intends to get out more. :)
I'm sure that would be a satisfying little job to pass away an hour after succeeding in picking out all the fluff from one's jacket Velcro. ;)
Seriously Andrew, if you've a bit left over make a cover for the Monobloc carb float chamber so that you can see the fuel level - (that's if you feel you can handle the excitement).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

SPRIDDLER wrote:It's awright Rob, he said he was only playing about and that he intends to get out more. :)
I'm sure that would be a satisfying little job to pass away an hour after succeeding in picking out all the fluff from one's jacket Velcro. ;)
Seriously Andrew, if you've a bit left over make a cover for the Monobloc carb float chamber so that you can see the fuel level - (that's if you feel you can handle the excitement).
Ooh Neville, that seems far too tempting not to make the float chamber cover now! I saw one for sale on eBay a while back. The possibilities are endless. What next? An oil sight glass on the tank? (that would be useful, as you could see the oil return). A level indicator on my lunch box? :lol:

Thanks Rob though, I appreciate your knowledge. It's just a bit of fun and it only cost me three quid. If it fails I'll ditch it.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Plugsnpoints wrote: The possibilities are endless. What next? An oil sight glass on the tank? (that would be useful, as you could see the oil return). A level indicator on my lunch box? :lol:
Hmm, maybe I'll make one for Thrifty Peter's wallet so in the Jampot beer tent he'll have no excuse for not buying a round. :roll: (I've already made a spare key ;) )
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Rob Harknett wrote:Perspecs ( Acrylic ) is brittle. It could easily crack. If heated it will stress, any solvent would then cause it to crack. It also needs little heat for it to bend. Polycarbonate would have been a better choice of material. Its tough, it will not craze if heat stressed and gets solvent on it, does not crack, could even be hit with a hammer. ( Working with plastics was my trade, I have seen all I have mentioned happen to goods made. )
I've just had a peep on eBay. There's polycarbonate for the same price as I paid for the Perspex. I'll bear that in mind in future :)
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Do it!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
REW

Post by REW »

What a great idea! You could film the engine running then we could all enjoy the sight of hot, dripping oil around some thrashing rockers :P
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.