1961 Model 8

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Oldcarguy

1961 Model 8

Post by Oldcarguy »

Still finding things wrong with this that I bought, since I have had it I found no oil in the gear box the engine oil was filthy and the primary chain case was empty. Changed engine oil and removed and cleaned the filter filled up gearbox, at this stage I had not not ridden it, just run the engine. I then bought a bike lift and after putting the bike on it I discovered it was dripping clean oil from the steel plate where the 2 drain plugs are so I checked both plugs not loose,at this stage I decided to drain the engine and to my surprise the oil was already dirty so this means it is the gearbox oil that is leaking this is continuing to leak for 2 days later, is this the actual gearbox leaking somewhere.

Thanks in advance Iain
shifter

Re: 1961 Model 8

Post by shifter »

I bought a 250 that had quite a few untold problems, had very little oil in the gearbox among a host of other things that are now sorted I suppose its all part of the learning curve with the old clunkers the gearbox was letting oil past the gear and kick start lever 0 rings running under the engine/gearbox in-between the frame plate then dripping out of the rear engine sump plug access hole and a little from behind the plate. So I renewed the 0 rings with the x type and cover gasket replaced sae 50 oil to just under inspection cover its now dry and all working good.
Last edited by shifter on Thu May 16, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
?
Oldcarguy

Post by Oldcarguy »

This was the description of the bike advertised on Jampot
1960 AJS 350 Model 8. Bike in show condition, runs well. Good paintwork and chrome
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Private sale or Kettering Classics?

Johnny B
Oldcarguy

Post by Oldcarguy »

Private but you still can't sell a vehicle that is not as described this is only a small part of things wrong
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

With my pedant's head on the description of the bike seems accurate - show condition confers little information regarding internal condition, it's really a case of 'caveat emptor'. Did the vendor give you any specific information regarding oil changes / overhaul etc.?

Hopefully the issues which, understandably, seem significant to you now will be easily resolved and you'll enjoy using the bike in the future.

Regards Mick
Oldcarguy

Post by Oldcarguy »

No history whats so ever he even clocked it :headbang:
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

That's a shame, especially from a Club member
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I hate to say it but it reminds me of my old man telling me of stories of spivs getting round things in the 1950s when they sold a motah. They used to stuff a stocking down the dipstick tube and the crank picked it up to stop a big end knocking. The other 'trick' was to put sawdust in the diff to stop it whining. I'm sure there's others.

I bought a Triumph Tiger 90 off a "reputable" classic motorcycle dealer (now in Framlingham, Suffolk) as a teenager which destroyed itself on the way home. It cost me all the money I had in the world at the time. The guarantee was as long as it was on the forecourt (his words). You live and learn...

I hate the fact that these people sleep at night.
shifter

Post by shifter »

I bought a m18 from a dealer had it a week and the big end started rumbling when I rang him up he said the original warranty ran out on the bike in 1956 I also bought a B.S.A b25 later on privately and the top end needed rebuilt after I had done less than 200 miles on it in my book you pay you money and take the chance in the old vehicle game.
?