Late CSR Tail Light

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Martin.S

Late CSR Tail Light

Post by Martin.S »

img-1-028.jpg
Does anyone recognise this tail lamp - it looks different than the earlier CSR's
img-1-028a.jpg
Picture quality not so good.

Cheers
Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Re: Late CSR Tail Light

Post by Rob Harknett »

It could be Wipac S 3704
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

SDC15274.JPG
SDC15273.JPG
I have this light on a couple of my unrestored lightweights, which I believe are original. One of the bike's was only used for about a year when new. Owner past his car test, stop riding the bike, bike got stuck at the back of the garage for about 50 years.
G2S.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

This is mine, the lens is original but the original holder had separate stop and tail bulbs. The original lens fits a later holder with one stop/tail bulb, you would never know unless you remove the lens! When I next uncover the bike I will get the number off the lens for you.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ozmadman wrote:This is mine, the lens is original but the original holder had separate stop and tail bulbs. The original lens fits a later holder with one stop/tail bulb, you would never know unless you remove the lens! When I next uncover the bike I will get the number off the lens for you.
That looks like the light on my 63 650 CSR but I think its Lucas, would the lightweight not be Wipac? Not sure if the light on my CSR is original. I am sure my lightweight light is original. I have that same light as my picture on my 66 G2 CSR also on my 58 G2.
Janet

Post by Janet »

My G2CSR isn't a late one as it's a '64 version with the beautiful big chromed* mudguards, but this is a photo of its tail light. It's a Wipac and only has a single stop and tail lamp in it. Whether or not it is original I can't know because I haven't had it from new but it's odds-on that it is. Whether or not it's the same as late lights, I don't know that either.
Vesta's tail light.JPG

*Stop laughing at the back.
shifter

Post by shifter »

My old ones
?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Janet wrote:My G2CSR isn't a late one as it's a '64 version with the beautiful big chromed* mudguards, but this is a photo of its tail light. It's a Wipac and only has a single stop and tail lamp in it. Whether or not it is original I can't know because I haven't had it from new but it's odds-on that it is. Whether or not it's the same as late lights, I don't know that either.
Same as mine Janet and it looks the same as in the sales brochure show here as well
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ozmadman wrote:
Janet wrote:My G2CSR isn't a late one as it's a '64 version with the beautiful big chromed* mudguards, but this is a photo of its tail light. It's a Wipac and only has a single stop and tail lamp in it. Whether or not it is original I can't know because I haven't had it from new but it's odds-on that it is. Whether or not it's the same as late lights, I don't know that either.
Same as mine Janet and it looks the same as in the sales brochure show here as well
I do believe my 64 AJS 14 CSR also has that rear lamp. Unfortunately sales cat. pictures are not 100% correct, old artwork was used. I have seen books containing all original artwork. You can clearly see the paintings have been changed to suit a year after the year they were drawn for. They only seemed to alter major parts that changed. So a smaller part like a rear lamp may have remained un altered on the drawing. There could have also been times when suppliers could not meet demands for a part, so a substitute was used. This certainly happened with levers, sometimes being Amal or Bowden etc.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Yes Janet's, Shifter's and Ozmadman's appear to be the ones.
Janet - Are you able look see if there are any manufacturers numbers on there?
Cheers
Martin