Amc gearbox problem

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
sunnybob

Amc gearbox problem

Post by sunnybob »

Hello Folks,
I have a problem with the gearbox of my 1958 Model 20 (AMC type). I broke my clucth cable and I ordered a new one. Unfortunally some jokers in the past have widened the register hole of the clutch cable (to fit a not original cable) and now the spare cable dances in it :cry: . So I was looking for a used gearbox cover, but the question is: are they all compatible? On ebay there are a couple of ads but they are from Norton Commando or Model 33 ... Are they ok anyway?
Other ideas? I was also thinking of doing nothing. The clutch, even with the register not screwed into the gearbox, works well when fixed. What can happen using the bike without doing anything? Thank you.
Ciao

Roberto

Last edited by sunnybob on Wed May 22, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick D

Re: Amc gearbox problem

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm not sure how consistent AMC's manufacturing process was, you may find a replacement cover will cause problems due to the kick start and gear change bores not aligning well enough.

I would repair the existing cover by fitting a brass threaded sleeve.

Regards Mick
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Maybe fit a second nut so they can lock together and you won't lose your adjustment while riding?

And then settle for is as is for now?

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote:Maybe fit a second nut so they can lock together and you won't lose your adjustment while riding?

And then settle for is as is for now?
That's exactly the temporary fix that I did ten years ago when I found that the thread in the outer case was stripped. It's still working fine.
If it 'aint (totally) broke...... ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

if you have pattern clutch levers with the adjuster on the lever fit a Matchless /. Norton P11 cable it does not use the adjuster at the bottom and adjustment is at the lever. the cable sit in the same cover but does not need adjustment at that end
sunnybob

Post by sunnybob »

Thank you for your answers. I presume I will go for a "temporary" fix :D as suggested.
clive

Post by clive »

On a Burman box I used the second nut approach but using a small wood chisel cut about half the thickness of the ally cover to the shape of the nut. It settles in there and is hardly noticeable. The chisel did need sharpening after :roll:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix