Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Peter Morris

Re: What tools do you carry around

Post by Peter Morris »

😁 Hope Peter has a fuse now!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I can't remember the exact details now but there was a 20 amp fuse in a battery lead which hadn't blown. We found that the Zener/heat sink had failed/shorted, presumably somehow isolating the alternator output from the fused battery lead, hence the unregulated alternator output was passing at max into the loom. Since we were under some time pressure to reach our next camp site we didn't investigate in any depth but I think we rewired it differently and without the Zener and Thrifty rode with all lights on to absorb the output. Anyway it lasted for the rest of the outward trip and the 900 mile return journey.
On a ride-out he did lose a tooth from his second gear pinion but at the end of the rally he 'borrowed' one from a pal's trailered AMC gearbox to replace his own for the ride home.
My '54 350 was untouched, running faultlessly throughout of course :ugeek:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Neville , I would like to say these are all tall stories with no fact to back them up . however in this instance and several others I cant . of course over the many miles that we rode together there are bound to be a few issues . The P11 is not really a road bike and it is asking a lot to do so many miles over the years . as soon as the G15CSR is fettled then the P11 will have a rest and perhaps some maintenance

and im not sure that with a shorted Zener diode that the fuse actually helps as it only isolates the battery and the ignition can run via the capacitor ignition . I now run with podtronics rectifier units and don't have to have a Zener diode
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Rob Harknett wrote:What ! no spare chain link.
Damn!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've just come across a pic of my spare drive chain link - (on a pair of experimental handlebars).
Coincidentally handy for bringing the lever closer to little hands.
Barleverlink2 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
I've just come across a pic of my spare drive chain link - (on a pair of experimental handlebars).
Coincidentally handy for bringing the lever closer to little hands.
Barleverlink2 (640x480).jpg
I brought a bike with a link there Nevile, I was told it was not intended as a spare. The past rider was a lady with small hands, the link bringing the lever closer for her to reach.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote: I brought a bike with a link there Neville, ........... The past rider was a lady with small hands, the link bringing the lever closer for her to reach.
Aha! I always wondered why my most recent ex-wife suggested I kept one in my wallet. :roll:
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Spare chain link on one end of Balstaff jacket zip, solderless barrel on the other end.

Johnny B