G3ls Frame 1955

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Gary G3ls

G3ls Frame 1955

Post by Gary G3ls »

Does anyone have any frame dimensions for my 1955 G3ls, I am going to get the frame checked as it appears to have a slight twist at the headstock, also on the rear subframe is it correct for there to be an extra 1/2" between the shocker and rear tyre, mine has 1 3/4" on the left drive side and 1 1/4 on the right.
Rob Harknett

Re: G3ls Frame 1955

Post by Rob Harknett »

Distances of Jampots from the tyre may be OK. I have not checked. You will off cause need the correct wheel and all fittings. Checking the alignment of the front and rear wheels will show up frame twist or miss aligned rear wheel. This is important. Distance between Jampots and tyre either side cannot be altered if it throws wheels out of alignment.
SPRIDDLER

Re: G3ls Frame 1955

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Gary G3ls wrote:....... mine has 1 3/4" on the left drive side and 1 1/4 on the right.
Welcome to the club and Forums, Gary.
Not sure if it helps much but the gaps on my '54 G3LS (Jampot units) are opposite to yours: I have 1 1/4" on the left and 1 3/4" on the right.

After a prang my bike was written off and the V5c required to be returned for the bike to be scrapped as the bored assessor (after looking at photos only) said that the frame was unrepairable. I had the frame checked professionally in a jig and it was twisted 2.5mm. In view of photos I've seen of the factory's frame assembly dep't it was probably like that from new but I had it corrected and certificated whilst I was there and the ins. co. changed the classification enabling me to rebuild the bike.
(£120 and an hour to check and correct the frame).
Marigold collision damage 23 Aug 2010 (720x540).jpg
In jig LH side (720x540).jpg
2.5 mm twist marked (720x540).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'