Fuel .. a basic question

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Beefheart

Re: Fuel .. a basic question

Post by Beefheart »

I have never used additives in any of my aged vehicles and valves and seats have been fine,but who would thrash a 60+ year old engine? I also always use super plus fuel as I believe (perhaps wrongly) that it has a lower ethanol content and run the carb dry when leaving the bike for more than a few days (53G9).
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Let me get this right. The thing that puts you off getting a classic bike is fuel?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

discokid wrote:Thank all who have responded ..

Shows I still have much to mull over and learn ..

Not yet decided to get a bike ( I suspect it would suffer in my hands), but at least, if I do, I now know how to care for the fuel side of things ..

Thanks again

DK
We're all still learning. That's the fun of old bikes. If you join the club an listen to the advice you won't go far wrong. And. ... life with an AJS is life beautiful. Matchless are okay too. 😂
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

I run my G80 CS and G8 on Shell super, according to the manager of the local Shell station it does not contain ‘ethanol'.
No starting problems after a Winter lay up.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

From Shell's website:

"This means that, in the UK, Shell regular unleaded and Shell V-Power unleaded are likely to contain some ethanol, but it will not be present at more than 5% (in accordance with current UK specification requirements)."

I use regular fuel with no additives and perform no preventative fuel system maintenance before the winter lay up. This spring, after the winter in an unheated garage which ranged between -2 and 13 degrees, I tickled the carb freed the clutch and away it went second kick.

As an aside, the Triumph, lawn mower, strimmers, hedge trimmer and leaf blower all started with no problem too.

Fuel treatments - snake oil in my opinion ;)

Cheers Mick
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Broadly agree with Mick, although I have used Redex in the past. I have had similar experience as his.

Johnny B