Grease gun

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
mjf65

Grease gun

Post by mjf65 »

Good evening,

Can anyone recommend a good grease gun with a head that is small enough to get onto the grease nipples on my 650's wheel bearing spindles?
I also mistakenly pumped grease into my swing arm grease nipple before I read that you should use oil, bugger...

Anyway I think I've removed most of the grease and then removed the grease nipple and injected oil through the tapped hole. So my question is, how do you get oil through a grease nipple?

Thanks

Re: Grease gun

Post by 1608 »

I made the same mistake when I first got my 18s because somebody had wrongly fitted a grease nipple. It should simply be a small bolt as a stopper and the oil hole should be at approx 3 o'clock. Best to use a Wesco type oil ( filler ) can. And use the heaviest oil you can find.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

You could put oil in the grease gun. Or just use a syringe, then put the grease nipple or the correct screw plug back in. Correct oil is SAE 140.
Dave.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

you wont get a grease gun, new, that will fit the old shape grease nipples. Find one on ebay
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The original nipples were designed to be lubricated with a Tecalemit 'push' type grease gun which was supplied with the tool kit:
Tecalemit.png
These are not the easiest things to use without the nozzle leaking.

You can get needle adaptors which fit to modern trigger type grease guns and also fit the original nipples and don't leak when filling:
Needle Nozzle.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

With the non-locking grease guns you need a piece of cloth between the nozzle and the grease nipple. That seals it Old technology.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Dave

Great tip I didn't know.

Fortunately Dad left me a veriety of old Tecalemit grease guns.

Johnny B
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

alanengineer wrote:you wont get a grease gun, new, that will fit the old shape grease nipples. Find one on ebay
Alan, maybe my AJS has newer grease nipples fitted as the grease gun I'm using fits both the AJS and my Suzuki DR350ES? Could it be that just the thread is different?