1948 Ajs 350 Passenger Seat Mounting

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
got2BaSBT

1948 Ajs 350 Passenger Seat Mounting

Post by got2BaSBT »

Hello folks,
I've got an old hard tail Ajs fitted with a passenger saddle, however the mountings for the saddle are bolted directly to the rear mudguard with no extra support. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a proper frame that the seat should be bolted to?
Regards
James
Rob Harknett

Re: 1948 Ajs 350 Passenger Seat Mounting

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not got a 48 bike, but do have pre war bikes with pillion seats fitted. My 36 bike came incomplete with no seats. I made 2 inverted U support brackets from 25 x 3 m.m. steel from B&Q. Fitted on top of the guard to spread the load. My 38 bike used on a USAF air base in Norfolk, came with a dual seat fitted. Note the 2 empty holes in my rear guard. The owner had saved the saddle and pillion. The pillion had 2 brackets attached, as I made for my 36 bike. Except the brackets have a bend in the middle to match the guard rib. These brackets spread the load. The front part of the Y guard stay, fits vertical, approx. mid way between the pillion fittings, to support the down ward load. I do not see why a 48 bike should not be similar. Hope this helps.
SDC15295.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

No brackets are listed in the rear mudguard or passenger (pillion) seat sections in the Spares List, (pages 27 and 32).

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf

My 99% original (one owner before me) '47 Ajay which may help. There is a 'U' shaped bracket fixing the front.

(Ignore the temp rear stand springs :roll: ).
100_1332 (640x480).jpg
Pillion snip.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
got2BaSBT

Post by got2BaSBT »

Thanks for that folks.
I was going to make up a plate to spread the load but wasn't sure if the mudguard would be strong enough without a couple of uprights down onto the frame too.
That's saved me the extra hassle!
Cheers
James.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Post war bikes do not seem to have support brackets then Neville, were they cost cutting as not really considered necessary ? WD bikes had support strips but long ways. Or are those strips sprung.
Ashampoo_Snap_10 July 2019_21h33m33s_001_.jpg
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote:Post war bikes do not seem to have support brackets then Neville, were they cost cutting as not really considered necessary ?
Perhaps having worked 16 hours a day in war effort factories the women pillion riders were skinny. ;)
Dunno, Rob. The pillion bum pad was an optional extra so perhaps no thought was given to needing extra support when actually using it.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
REW

Post by REW »

My '51 rigid 350 is identical in rear seat pad and brackets to Sprid's so one would have to assume such was the standard pillion perch of the time(s). Skinny women eh?
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Rationing did not end until 1954 Ron.
got2BaSBT

Post by got2BaSBT »

Thanks everyone. You folks never fail to amaze me with your info and pictures on what seems like any query.
I'll make up some strips, my wife likes to come along with me for a chug and although she's only little the seat is bolted direct to the mudguard which is hopeless.
I haven't had the bike long, but it is becoming more and more apparent that it has been used for showing instead of riding.