Has anyone had any information regarding the dynamo cranks?

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
CAB

Has anyone had any information regarding the dynamo cranks?

Post by CAB »

Hello
I emailed the club about the progress of the dynamo cranks late last year but I haven't had a reply. Has anyone had any updates?
Thanks
CAB
ajscomboman

Re: Has anyone had any information regarding the dynamo cran

Post by ajscomboman »

I'm surprised that you got no answer.

So far the saga continues, in the end the cranks were recovered from the original engineering company and taken to Austria by Markus Graef. MArkus is the poor guy who started the project in good faith only to be strung along by RWT. He's sourced a local engineering firm to put the finishing touches to the cranks, however not without issues. The new material is extremely hard, as RWT found out, and the tooling is burning out far quicker than expected. It was hoped that we'd have them by Sept last year but as of yet we're still waiting. I contacted Markus last week asking for an update and am awaiting a reply with pictures of the current status and a delivery date. As soon as he gets back to me I'll report back.

Rob
CAB

Post by CAB »

Thanks Rob
The last reply that I had was back in May. Yes I was surprised that I didn't get a reply - always had one within a couple of days in the past.
At least I haven't wasted my time putting it back together with the original crank in; I expected the new crank to turn up just after it went back in the bike. I can see if I have cured all the leaks.....
CAB
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I heard from Markus yesterday and it was hoped he'd get to the machine shop today. I say hoped because he's in the area where all the snow in Austria has been giving so much trouble. He's spent the last few days shovelling just to keep mobile. He too hopes for March to be an achievable deadline but will confirm once he's got to the machine shop.

Rob
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

I am waiting too.

We have several threads on the subject, see overview here:
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ft#p190721

Rgds.
Knut
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Still waiting a reply from Markus as like everyone else around his area of Austria, he's been shovelling snow! I'll chase again next week.
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

I believe it's high time to put in the overdrive so as to ensure this project is completed successfully. It can't go on forever, and there appears to be 17+ buyers waiting impatiently.

Rob or Stuart, can we please have some good news on progress, or at least some news what's going on?

-Knut S.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

You can have some good news, The committee are also very tired with the delays and the distance between us and the engineering company doesn't help. Having pulled the plug on the first company the second one also had issues with the hardness of the material and the tooling required. This has now been sorted and progress although a snail pace is still ongoing. We have been promised the cranks by Oct without fail and I'll be keeping up the pressure. i think the threat of pulling the plug and collecting them made them take a little more notice.

Sit patiently a little longer and hopefully I'll have even better news late August.
dave650ss

Post by dave650ss »

I am also waiting for my dynamo crank. Just checked up--I paid my deposit on 1/3/2012 so now more than 7 years !!
I also emailed the club last year but didn't receive a reply
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

We're fully expecting them to arrive by the end of October. All the niggling problems have been sorted by the latest engineering company and the remaining 56 cranks will hopefully be done and a line drawn under this long drawn out project.