AJS 37/22

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
NORMAN NIPPY

AJS 37/22

Post by NORMAN NIPPY »

This bike is new to me, the instruction book on the carb says. Press the button on top of the float chamber until petrol comes out of the small hole next to the button, in my case petrol comes out of the holes around the base of the carb, am I flooding the carb as it is hard to start?
Thanks
Rob Harknett

Re: AJS 37/22

Post by Rob Harknett »

First the questions. Have you got the correct carb? It should be the type with the mixing chamber horizontal. You will probably find one with a vertical mixing chamber will almost hit the tube running under the tank. You will have to assembly it with cables fitted, even then the cable adjusters may hit the tube, the cable entry bend will be much too sharp. I guess you do have the correct carb type. Is it fitted the correct way round with mixing chamber on the right.. There is a danger someone may had picked up a carb intended for a Douglas flat twin. It stands vertical on a flat twin, but will lay horizontal on an upright engine. Are we are still answering yes, all OK, now make sure your float chamber is fixed dead upright, so the fuel level is actually level. The mixing chamber will swing all angles on its singe fixing bolt. There is a nut on the float to remove it. Pass a small drill through the hole so it is actually clear. You should be able to clean the hole with the correct size drill bit hand held. If everything is still OK, if petrol exceeds what the bottom of the mixing chamber should hold, petrol will escape through the holes bringing it to its correct level. Don't worry about that they will all do it. The old bikes do like a good drink before they want to start. But not Scotch like their owners. Remember when starting from cold, almost fully retard the AR lever. You will discover how far retarded your bike will like. It depends on your ignition and points settings. Too far advanced, the bike will be a pig to start and kick back violently. I need to fully retard my little 36 / 22. As the engine warms up gradually advance the lever to fully advanced. If you do this too quickly, the bike will spit back and cut out the engine upon closing/opening the throttle. Enjoy riding the little 250. You will find it quite lively, and perhaps exceed the 1937 road test max speed. I've seen my speedo hit 80. You are using at least 95 octane petrol instead of 1937 76 octane fuel.
NORMAN NIPPY

Post by NORMAN NIPPY »

Thank you for your time to inform me the workings of the carb, the paper work that came with the bike the carb is a 275.
My last bike was a 1960 G9, how often with this bike do you adjust the mag timing, on the forum it was said you more or less leave it on full advance?
thanks again
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I explained the AR lever procedure, you only retard it for starting . Once warmed up fully advanced. If not fully advanced your engine will get hotter, also the engine will not run correctly. It will slog at a lower speed.
275 is the carb type of which there are many models for various bikes. Mainly determined by the fittings, jets, slide, settings etc.
Here's your carb model 275/014 look on the top of the flange. If you have not got that model 275 type make sure what you have has got a 7/8" bore, then fit the jets etc you see listed. Best you can do.
Ashampoo_Snap_14 August 2019_14h03m59s_002_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMAN NIPPY

Post by NORMAN NIPPY »

thank you