Is my battery goosed? (Sorted)

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
spookefoote1956

Is my battery goosed? (Sorted)

Post by spookefoote1956 »

The Beast has electronic ignition so requires a battery to start. Up until yesterday I could flick the power switch and test the lecky by pressing the horn button or the brake. Now, no horn or brake light. I tested the battery with the multi-meter and it shows a healthy 12 plus volts. I tested the dynamo in accordance the "Matchless Clueless" and all is good there. With the meter across the battery when running and building up the revs it shows the DVR2 is sending a charge to the battery and whadayaknow the horn etc works.

My brain is saying dynamo good, battery not. I've ordered a new one as I'm off to t'isle of man next week.

Any thoughts? Battery that is, not t'isle of man and yes I know the Jampot's on.

Cheers, Chris :? :?
Last edited by spookefoote1956 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
ajscomboman

Re: Is my battery goosed?

Post by ajscomboman »

More than likely the battery, it may show a healthy 12V but it doesn't mean there are amps. Probably drops like a stone when a demand is asked of it.
spookefoote1956

I use a Powerline 12v 7ah battery. Mainly because it fits into the available space. Is that battery up to the job for electronic ignition?
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

the most stupid question . have you checked the voltage elsewhere on the bike not just at the battery . sounds more like a blown fuse or connection has come adrift somewhere
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Put the multimeter across the battery and measure the voltage - with the multimeter still across the battery press the horn or brake, does the voltage drop significantly?

Yes - the battery is flat / not receiving / taking charge

No - Look for the broken connection from the battery to the services

Your battery should be perfectly capable of running the ignition, what make is it, (the ignition)?

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

If it was a broken connection/ blown fuse it wouldn't work if the bike was running. As the horn and brake didn't work when the bike was not running but did when it was, would indicate to me that it's more than likely the battery not holding up.
spookefoote1956

Thorspark ignition. I'm leaning towards the battery myself. The new one should arrive today so we'll know for sure later.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

ajscomboman wrote:If it was a broken connection/ blown fuse it wouldn't work if the bike was running. As the horn and brake didn't work when the bike was not running but did when it was, would indicate to me that it's more than likely the battery not holding up.
I know what you're saying but as Chris' wiring is not standard who knows how the dynamo is connected - when running the dynamo could be supplying the services directly.

Regards Mick
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

From their 'bumf' the ignition demand is 0.25A so your battery is certainly compatible.

Regards Mick
spookefoote1956

The battery arrived today while I was out with Mrs Spookefoote buying a greenhouse which blew away earlier in the year. It is used for something called gardening :?

Anyway, I'll fit the battery tomorrow and report back. :D