Clutch plates

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
raffles

Re: Clutch plates

Post by raffles »

An old steel clutch plate with a handle welded or bolted to it and an old gearbox mainshaft
and the job is easy. hold the shaft in a vice place the clutch centre on the shaft then the steel
plate over the clutch centre and just move to left or right as required to insert rubbers
Tony
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

raffles wrote:An old steel clutch plate with a handle welded or bolted to it and an old gearbox mainshaft
and the job is easy. hold the shaft in a vice place the clutch centre on the shaft then the steel
plate over the clutch centre and just move to left or right as required to insert rubbers
Tony
That's good advice but for those who don't have an endless bucket of old parts - try fitting the large rubbers first then wedge the spider open with a screwdriver or similar to allow fitting two of the thin ones then squeeze the third into place. It worked for me :)

Regards Mick
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks for the advise, I've made a tool similar to the one made in this video.
I was originally attempting to copy what the guy did therefore trying to remove the 3 nut, but thanks to Mick I didn't and didn't spoil the clutch.

Mike
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

New clutch friction plates, and rubbers on Cush drive fitted.
Clutch adjusted with adjuster on pushrod and backing off half a turn and to get the correct 1/16” movement where cable enters box.
All working but sometimes difficulty finding first gear, with some hard gear changes in between.
Would this be some settling in of the new friction plates, I can see ball bearing inside from gear box end, not able to get it out from clutch side though to check it's ok.
Gear changing was all working smoothly before.😱😱
Mike
clive

Post by clive »

mikeydpippin wrote:New clutch friction plates, and rubbers on Cush drive fitted.
Clutch adjusted with adjuster on pushrod and backing off half a turn and to get the correct 1/16” movement where cable enters box.
All working but sometimes difficulty finding first gear, with some hard gear changes in between.
Would this be some settling in of the new friction plates, I can see ball bearing inside from gear box end, not able to get it out from clutch side though to check it's ok.
Gear changing was all working smoothly before.😱😱
Apart from the new friction plates the other thing that will have changed is the adjustment of the clutch springs. In my experience crunchy gear changes can usually be the result of Spring adjustment. Have another go at ensuring the cover plate is pulling out evenly. I take it that the clutch basket did not have ribbing down the slots. The tabs on old friction plates may have worn giving more clearance to allow the plates to move outwards more easily if they are ribbed. New plates may need greater accuracy in getting the pull even, or the basket may need dressing back.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

As Clive says - it sounds very much like the clutch is dragging.

A quick check is to take up all of the slack in the cable and see if that improves the gear change.

Regards Mick
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks Chaps, did as you suggested, plus replaced the dodgy looking clutch cable, and now bobs me uncle.

Many Thanks again👍👍👍
Mike
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Didn't want to start a thread with the word chaincase leaking but have done lots of searches for this problem.
I've tried the sealant, tallow and other suggested ideas, still had leaks even though cases were nicely matched, relatively close on the lips, where the band sits.
But whilst searching someone mentioned ptfe so I tried it.
Fitting the cases as suggested by the maestro Itma, I then wrapped ptfe around the Buckingham seal about 8 times.
Fitted the band and so far have had 3 drips after 24hrs.
No tallow used or sealant, maybe the band is slightly too large and the ptfe packs out the seal enough to pull everything tighter together.
Not saying but....tomorrow there could be a puddle 😱😱😱
Mike
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Never had any luck with the Buckingham seal, that why I have 3 for sale! However the club alternative design, I've had 5 now and everyone is oil tight! Leaks elsewhere but not from the chaincase seal! :rofl:
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

ajscomboman wrote:Never had any luck with the Buckingham seal, that why I have 3 for sale! However the club alternative design, I've had 5 now and everyone is oil tight! Leaks elsewhere but not from the chaincase seal! :rofl:
Ditto!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein