Difficult to start

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
frankboase

Re: Difficult to start

Post by frankboase »

Spookefoote,
spookefoote1956 wrote:Surely the clues to it's year of manufacture are given via the number plate and v5 :?
The number plate is LL65KXE, as shown on the MOT test cert.
The V5C will take "4weeks of the registered keeper......"
Pls out of interest what and how can you tell from a registration plate?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The '65' in your registration indicates the bike was first registered August 2015 to March 2016.

According to the DVLA website the bike was manufactured in2015:

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ViewVehicle

Regards Mick
frankboase

Post by frankboase »

Thanks, Mick, Amazing what you can find when you know where to look.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

frankboase wrote:Thanks, Mick, Amazing what you can find when you know where to look.
It's also showing as 'Not insured' on the insurance database: https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/ Best to keep an eye on that to make sure that it is updated. ;)
You can view or download a manual here but it may be the one you already have. Incidentally the manual advises using the plug spanner that is included in the tool kit.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10112 ... =18#manual

I haven't been able to verify whether it has carb or injection fuelling but reference to the above manual (you can do that ;) ) may tell you relative to its year or engine number.

Thanks for filling in the requested details. It would seem, as MickD says, the battery is o.k. at present. My only other thought is that since there are cut-out sensors on the clutch lever and sidestand one or other may be malfunctioning. I believe there is a 'Kill' button on the handlebars which will also prevent the engine from firing even though the starter will still operate so maybe that's dodgy?
Failing the above it would seem that with your 'limited' knowledge and no-one to help locally you will need to speak to the previous owner for help or take it to a dealer. According to the AJS website there are no official AJS dealers within reasonable riding distance of you and from personal experience you may find other dealers unwilling (refusing) to work on it. If you do find a dealer willing to work on it get a diagnosis and quote, then you're welcome to come back here for comments before possibly getting ripped off. We may or may not be able to comment usefully but it's worth a try.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
frankboase

Post by frankboase »

Hi Spridder,
I haven't been able to verify whether it has carb or injection fuelling but reference to the above manual (you can do that ;) ) may tell you relative to its year or engine number.
There are 2 carbs.
Engine number DD244MI 15700633.
Hope from this you can deduce s'thing.
Again, again many thanks :)
frankboase

Post by frankboase »

May help;
"The '65' in your registration indicates the bike was first registered August 2015 to March 2016.

According to the DVLA website, the bike was manufactured in2015"
Thanks to Mick D.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

frankboase wrote:Engine number DD244MI 15700633.
Hope from this you can deduce s'thing.
Again, again many thanks :)
SPRIDDLER wrote: I haven't been able to verify whether it has carb or injection fuelling but reference to the above manual (you can do that ;) ) may tell you relative to its year or engine number.
Err, no Frank. I suggested that you did some digging. I'm sure you're far more capable on the internet than this pensioner :? I could perhaps look it up for you and I may sound harsh but the only way you will learn about your bike, at least initially, is to read the manual, as we all had to do when starting out. To be completely honest I have no interest in and I have other things to do than read though the manual of a bike I'll never own. If you want an explanation for stuff you don't understand in the manual, ask here. Then you will need some basic tools.
I don't have a Raptor and have only seen photos of it on the web. The info I have given you is just from a couple of my own searches on the internet.
Good luck.
frankboase

Post by frankboase »

Hi SPRIDDLER,
Thought I'd already thanked you for your time/efforts, but just in case, a very big thanks.
Frank.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

frankboase wrote:Hi SPRIDDLER,
Thought I'd already thanked you for your time/efforts, but just in case, a very big thanks.
Frank.
I appreciate that Frank and am happy to try and help.
The point is that until you have even the most basic understanding of your bike you will not be able to identify or trace a problem and we cannot help to resolve it. You really must read the manual in the link I gave you before - all 30 pages of it. There's no magic in fixing bikes, just methodical step by step checking. Have you spoken to the previous owner for advice as suggested?
As I said previously I had no previous knowledge of your bike and all I given you is what I've found on the internet. There are probably only a maximum of half a dozen Raptors in this club of around 4,000 members all of whose bikes are 50 or more years old. I guess there are only one or two Raptor owners who use these Forums. Also as previously said you would get more help on a Chinese bike owners Forum for which I have given you a link already.
As a start why not give AJS call and ask them if your bike has carbs or an injector? Their website also tells you which available spark plug to use and offers the same Haynes manual to which I and MickD have referred you.
You need to be aware that as a non-subscribing 'Guest' your free access to post messages on here is time limited.
frankboase

Post by frankboase »

Hi Clive,
Guess your right about taking it to a dealer, or try and find a garage that knows AJS DD E125-8 :rofl:
Many people here have been very helpful.
Frank.