Rare parts

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
OldChuffer

Rare parts

Post by OldChuffer »

I'm now well into my restoration of my model 14 - it didnt come with either a gearbox top cover or a left hand side accessory cover (the one that fits over the carb intake). I cant see any for sale anywhere, do i assume these are dead rare? Anyone know where i can get either of these parts?

Any help much appreciated.
Rob Harknett

Re: Rare parts

Post by Rob Harknett »

I said to stall holder at the Jampot rally selling parts in the members auto jumble, soon as the rally is over some one will ask for these parts. So far today 2 people have asked for parts I saw at the rally. I am sure I saw some parts on Malcolm Lee's stall you are asking for.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

The accessory covers come up on eBay fairly regularly. Gearbox top covers are rare.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Transfergear

Post by Transfergear »

I'm also looking for said gearbox top cover so spoke to Les at Russell Motors who for info have quite a few Matchless referenced parts. He said they had a box of 500(!) in their stores but these were accidentally scrapped when they relocated these to another premises. :cry: Might be worth getting in touch with them for the toolbox cover though.
dodger

Post by dodger »

I got a replica gearbox cover from Steve Surbey at AMC Classic spares, needed a bit of fettling to get it to fit but turned out OK.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi There i have a pattern with well known supplier of parts. At the moment and i am waiting for a second quote on price for a batch of brand new ones for the club spare scheme.

As usual it does seem to take an age to get someone to manufacture these things - Tinware makers seem to be in short supply to take on low volumes.

I have asked for 25 units initial prices were @£35 cost in raw steel, so bit on top for the supplier and the club. I will also look at the cost of paint/powder coating.

Last time i spoke to Steve at AMC classic spares he had sold out and it wasn't a priority getting some more - I know its a light weight thing.

As soon as i have more news i will let you all know.

Steve Randall
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

There's a left hand side accessory cover up on eBay now:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ajs-matchles ... SwhktdXSWh
1993 Ducati 750SS
OldChuffer

Post by OldChuffer »

Just missed it but it was a RHS one anyway.
I'll keep on looking.
Thanks everyone for your help, appreciated
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Doh, my mistake. I could have sworn it was a LHS one, but it obviously wasn't! Anyway, they do come up every now & again...
1993 Ducati 750SS