My first Matchless is here!!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
clive

Re: My first Matchless is here!!

Post by clive »

I would get on with getting a dating certificate for it. If it was indeed an export model you may have issues with import duties.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mick D wrote:Hi

If this is going to be an 'oily rag' restoration all you need to do is ensure it's roadworthy and the systems function.

My immediate concern would be the fact you state the generator is seized yet the engine runs, something is wrong here, the dynamo receives it's drive via a chain in the primary chain case and if the engine is running the dynamo should be spinning. You need to look inside the primary chain case and ascertain why the dynamo is not spinning.

From the numbers you list, the engine was manufactured in 1956 and the gearbox August 1955.

When I carry out a restoration I find it helpful to list all of the issues I find and wish to resolve, this helps me to schedule the jobs, manage a budget and the acquisition of parts - crossing the jobs off as they are completed is a good way of seeing progress is being made. My current restoration 'To Do' list runs to over 90 entries.

Have fun Mick
Nothing wrong with Aug 55 gearbox on 56 bike. Burman model year was Jan to Dec. Vehicle model year Sept 1st to Aug 31st. So 56 bike model started Sept 55.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

markwhitelock wrote:Thanks for the offer, Mark, I will definitely take you up on the offer to pop over, I will need to see how much time my wife will allow me to tinker over the weekend!
Hi Mark,
I'm busy this weekend but I'm sure we can find a convenient time, if you want some help. Tinkering time is very precious!
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

clive wrote:I would get on with getting a dating certificate for it. If it was indeed an export model you may have issues with import duties.
I'm hoping not! It's only the kilometres on the speedo that made me wonder.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

clive wrote:I would get on with getting a dating certificate for it. If it was indeed an export model you may have issues with import duties.
Hi

With no paperwork or registration plate I'm not sure how anyone could prove it had been imported - the application should be for an age related plate.

I'd also consider when to apply for a dating certificate as they are now only valid for 12 months - if it's going to be a long restoration there's no point just yet - also as bike needs to be inspected as a 'complete ;) ' assembly prior to the age related documents being issued.

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

Clearly we have a different approach Mick. My experience of the DVLA inspection for an age related plate was that the questions during it concentrated on whether the major parts were restored original items or newly manufactured ones. Wheel rims and tyres seemed not to be an issue. The photos of Mark's bike shows he has a whole bike and we have been told the engine runs. I reckon he should try for the age related plate now before pulling it all apart if a total restoration is the plan rather than a rusty runner.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

I'm planning on trusting the rust and leaving the bodywork as it is. I'm just interested in getting it mechanically sorted and rideable. I will get the dating certificate done now as I don't plan on pulling it apart in a major way
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

clive wrote:Clearly we have a different approach Mick.
Hi Clive

No, I think we're on the same page, I just thought it was worth mentioning that import duty is unlikely to be an issue and that dating certificates now have a finite validity.
I think you would agree, there's no point in applying for a dating certificate until you are ready to register. Now we know Mark's intention is to put the bike on the road in short order it would make sense to start the registration process as soon as possible, though I would advise a good inspection of the serialised components, frame, engine and, to a lesser degree gearbox, to assure that these will be retained.

Regards Mick
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

markwhitelock wrote:I'm planning on trusting the rust and leaving the bodywork as it is. I'm just interested in getting it mechanically sorted and rideable. I will get the dating certificate done now as I don't plan on pulling it apart in a major way
I think that's what I would do; you're retaining the bike's history. 'Patina' is the buzzword these days. One other thing to do when the time comes; fit new tyres and tubes. Even if those tyres look OK, they probably aren't. They may have dates on the sidewalls which will give you a clue. If they haven't, they are definitely past their use-by date!

Malc
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

I've started digging and taking covers off, the first issue that I have come across is the kickstart isn't engaging properly to turn the engine over. The clutch seems to be slipping instead of turning the chain to the engine.

What could be causing this?